Chapter 4

When they reached the control room Lance found his bayard lying among a multitude of shattered sentry bodies. He scooped it up and the two of them charged into the main mining area.

Keith wavered as they reached the open space. His head felt heavy and his thoughts were sluggish, as if they had to wade through honey to reach the next section of his mind. Lance charged on, intent on reaching their small group of friends in the middle of the cavern surrounded by Genopians.

When he squinted his eyes, Keith noticed that Shiro was actually the only one there.

He jogged for a few steps to catch up to Lance again and push through the aliens. They reached Shiro and the taller man immediately lost some tension in his shoulders. An easy smile came onto his face before his strong features were replaced with a frown.

"Where have you guys been?" The lecture began. His eyes darted between Lance and Keith for an explanation.

Keith thought about it for a minute but it seemed like whenever he tried to figure out what he had been doing 5 dobashes ago his mind tried to shut down. Keith shrugged when Shiro's eyes landed on him. Lance spoke up, sounding almost panicked.

"We'll tell you when we get back on the castle of lions. What's happening right now?" Lance shifted his bayard gun in his good arm, antsy.

"Alright. I expect the whole story though. Pidge is going to shut down this station while hunk is clearing out the left over galra. I was explaining what we were doing to the Genopians." As soon as Shiro finished the Keith noticed a loud noise erupting tunnel they came from before it was abruptly cut off. Pidge's doing, he would guess. A moment later Hunk emerged from the same tunnel.

"I guess we're finished then," Lance mused.

A hand settled onto Keith's shoulder and he turned to meet the four eyes of the Genopian who was trying to get his attention.

"The lions have been resurfaced and the sandstorm is clear. We can lead you out."

Keith nodded his head and turned back to Shiro. "We're going to go get our lions. We'll meet you at the Castle." Shiro gave them a nod and returned to his conversation with the aliens.

Keith didn't need to call for Lance, he was already walking by his side as he returned his bayard to his suit and cradled his arm to his chest gently.

They followed the Genopian through winding tunnels and caverns that they had no way of returning through. Without the escort they would never have been able to find their way around.

Eventually they began to walk at an upwards angle and dobashes later they were opening a rocky hatch to the dessert outside. The sky had settled into a blue-green color and the orange sand was no longer whipping through the air.

Their lions were sitting not too far off. How the Genopians got them out of the cavern, Keith had no idea. But he wasn't going to argue about it. Keith started toward his lion but Lance stopped him, grabbing his arm and pulling him back.

"Give me your crystal." He said with unusual urgency. Keith furrowed his brows but pulled it out of his pocket.

Before he handed it over he held it close to himself, feeling an odd attachment to it.

"Excuse me," Lance called the Genopian who had lead them out. She came closer to them. "Is there any way to un-connect a crystal and a person?" His voice was calm but Keith didn't miss the underlying desperation.

The Genopian's eyes widened and she reached out for Keith's crystal with her still gloved hand. Keith pulled it away from her before she could grab it. She didn't seem surprised.