Chapter 6: The Silver Bracelet

Percy POV

I don't know why I took Annabeth out to the museum. I saw the flyer in my mom's magazine, and I thought that Wise Girl would enjoy it. And, she did. 

While Annabeth refused to call it a date, I didn't have a better name for it. The surprising part was that I enjoyed my time despite having no interest in learning about architecture. I liked watching and listening to Annabeth become so excited and passionate. 

It was my first date in years where nothing physical or sexual happened between me and the girl. It was a pleasant experience. I didn't mind it at all. 

I missed school Thursday and Friday because the middle dosage of every chemo cycle was always the worst. Surprisingly, my friends didn't notice the pattern of me missing the same two days of every month. I guess another reason why I wanted to spend time with Annabeth is because of how bad the week was. 

***
I was so glad that the chemo cycle was over the following week. It was a rough cycle, considering I had no alternative pain relief. The side effects hurt a lot, but I managed to hold on. So, a week without cancer therapy felt amazing. 

"Hey Percy, you're finally here," Piper cheered. 

"Why were you waiting for me?" I asked curiously. 

"Well, you're part of the reason why we all became one big happy, friendly family, so you have to be here for the announcement."

"Piper, what announcement?" Annabeth asked the question everyone was having. 

"Well, Jason and I were thinking that next Saturday marks 1 month since we all became friends, so we should have a party," Piper squealed happily. Piper loved parties. 

"Um, this was all her idea," Jason said quickly. 

"Piper, this isn't something to celebrate," Annabeth said quietly. I looked over at her as she looked down at her lunch. Wise Girl really didn't like or want to lose this deal. Honestly, it was so hard not to give up during this chemo cycle. I didn't realize just how much sex helped as an alternative pain relief method. 

"Sure, it is. We're not celebrating the deal, we're celebrating our friendship. This party is happening. Everyone be at my house tomorrow by 6." 

Everyone agreed. 

***

"Annabeth, wait up," I called as I ran towards her and her friends in the parking lot. I kept forgetting to give back the bracelet that she left in my car. It was a pretty, silver bracelet with a few owl charms attached to the chain. I only noticed the bracelet this morning, a full two weeks after our non-date. 

She sighed as I approached. "What do you want, Percy?" 

"I was just-"

"Hello Annabeth, is Jackson bothering you?" a deep voice asked from behind me. I hated that voice. Both Wise Girl and I turned towards Luke. 

"Oh hey Luke," Annabeth said. There was a certain lightness in her voice that I didn't like because it indicated that Annabeth had a history with Luke. "No, Percy wasn't bothering me at all, but I'm not sure why he's here," she said turning to me with curiosity. 

I didn't realize I was still glaring at Luke until Annabeth nudged me. 

"Wise Girl, you left your bracelet in my car after our date," I said as I handed the bracelet back to her. 

Her fingers grazed my hand as she took the bracelet. I couldn't help the sparks of ecstasy and warmth that came with her touch. Annabeth took the bracelet and closed it in her hand. There was deep emotion in her eyes as she looked at me. Clearly, the bracelet meant a lot to her.