Chapter 33: The Recovery

Percy POV

Light surrounded me. I couldn't see anything but the light all around me. 

It was a beautiful and magical place. 

My body was floating in complete silence and the atmosphere was fluid. My hands were fluid as I was only composed of vapor and fog. 

I willed my body forward slowly. I was flying high in the clouds, and the sunlight spread all around and through my hollow image. No wonder everyone wanted to come to heaven. 

Everything was so peaceful and lighted compared to Earth. 

I watched other spirits fly around. They clearly had more experience here than I did considering how freely they were moving. All of them were talking and laughing. 

"Percy," a voice whispered from behind me. 

I turned around, creating a whirlpool of vapor around me. 

"Dad," I gasped in shock. 

Of course, he was here. My dad belonged in the clouds of water. 

My dad came forward. We couldn't embrace considering we were nothing but fog and smoke. Regardless, I could feel the warmth and comfort radiating off of him. 

"I didn't think I'd see you here so soon, son," he said with a small smile. 

"Dad, I missed you so much," I said earnestly. 

"I know, son. I miss you and your mother as well," he said softly. "What are you doing here, Perseus?" 

"I don't know, dad. I woke up here," I told him. 

"Do you want to be here? Do you want to really stay here?" he asked seriously. 

I simply stared at him. This place was beautiful and amazing. Any person would love to stay here forever. I'd be lying if I said that I didn't want to stay here.

But then, an image came into my mind. A person. Wise Girl. 

Afterward, a cascade of images, objects, and people flooded through my system. My mom, Paul, Grover, Jason, Thalia, Piper, and the rest of my friends. 

I couldn't be here. Not yet, at least. 

Suddenly, I found myself falling out of the light and into the darkness. My father's smiling face was the last thing I saw. 

***

"Shouldn't Percy be awake by now?" Annabeth's voice asked. 

Everything felt numb. I couldn't even open my eyelids, let alone move. 

"Anesthesia is a powerful drug, Annabeth. He'll wake up when all of it wears off," the doctor informed Annabeth. 

"Thank you, doctor. I think we're just tense is all," my amazing mother said. 

"Wait, he's waking up. His eyes are moving and so are his hands," Annabeth said in a rushed voice. Suddenly, I felt a hand clasp my own. The warmth, comfort, and ecstasy immediately rushed through my system in response to her touch. 

I opened my eyes slowly. 

The light blinded me for a few moments, but then, the images started to clear. My mother, Paul, Grover, and Annabeth were all looking at me with smiles on their faces. 

I groaned lightly as my back ached. 

"Who are you?" I asked softly. 

All of their smiles disappeared. Concern and worry immediately flooded their faces and my own system. It was a cruel joke, and I couldn't stop myself from smiling/laughing.