CHAPTER FIVE | my relationship with my car is on a break

CHAPTER FIVE  | my relationship with my car is on a break

RANDOM SONG OF THE CHAPTER:

Life In Colour - Barbie Princess Adventure

*****

"Mismatch your socks. Feet don't need to be the same and neither do you."

******

"That is a very colourful jacket you are wearing, Gwendolyn." Was the first thing Zane said to me when I walked into the restaurant.

The android had texted me at the malicious time of eight o'clock (because he doesn't understand the concept of sleeping in on weekends) and asked me to meet him at a little restaurant. Apparently even in the future when everyone becomes robots we'll still need to have minimum wage jobs.

I looked down at my oversized jacket. It had big billowy sleeves and was made of patches of various aggressively coloured fabric but I really loved the coat. When I glanced back at Zane he was smiling warmly at me as he wiped down the bar. It was weird to have someone say that to me in such a non-sarcastic tone. Though, I'm unsure if Zane is capable of making mean, snide comments about people's multi-coloured clothes.

"This is a nice place," I said, observing the tidy little booths and cute cream barstools. My home town just had a rough-looking bar that occasionally serves undercooked pancakes.

Zane placed a menu at one of the spots and I climbed on. "What are you interested in consuming?"

I blinked a few times at his odd way of saying it. "I am totally using that line."

His brow furrowed and I opened the menu to look at the options. When I placed it back down I noticed him scribbling away at something.

"What are you doing?" I asked curiously.

Zane raised it to show me. "It is my dream journal. I am writing down my goals as you told me to."

"Wow." I squinted at the writing. "Learn what 'I'm totally using that line' means.'" 

One of Zane's coworkers paused while walking by with a load of dishes. "Zane, stop flirting with the customers and get these orders done!"

My eyebrows flew up. Um....awkward. "Uh..."

"Coffee, orange juice, orange juice, specialty soup, drowned noodles, water, coffee, coffee, coffee." Zane listed off easily, a finger moved to point out each individual.