Chapter 4

James's POV (three weeks and four days later)

Today I visited one of my restaurants because there were some problems. I was walking home when I heard someone sobbing. I walked to the alley and saw some little girl with a head between her knees. She had to hear me 'cause she looked up. It was dark so I didn't see her features. I walked to her and it was Anna.

"What are you doing here? Why are you crying?" I asked, slightly panicked, someone hurt her. But she just shook her head and looked down.

"Sweetheart. Please, what happened? Tell me, please. Can you walk? Should I take you back to the orphanage?"

"NO! Please no there. Please." She shouted and started crying more.

"Ok, sweetheart. Not there. Can you tell me what happened? Did someone hurt you?" She shook her head and repeated screaming no. I took her to my arms and rocked her till she calmed little.

"Honey, I just want to help you. Can you tell me? I promise it will be our secret."

"I am sorry. I can't. It's against rules"

"Why can't you, sweetheart? What rules? Honey, I won't tell anyone. Please talk to me. I just want to help you. Please. It kills me to see my beautiful girl with tears. I am not able to help you if you don't tell me what's wrong."

"I can't. I would be punished. I don't want to be punished anymore." She started to cry again. It kills me to not know what is going on. James. You have a brain in your head. Think for God's sake. Who could repeatedly hurt her? I rocked her, rubbed circles on her back, and whispered sweet nothings.

"Sweetheart! I came up with something. What if I ask you a question. And you would nod or shake your head. Then you are not telling me anything, so you can't be punished. And everything I ask will stay only between us. Ok?"

She thought about it for a while and then nodded.

"Ok. Honey. Did they hurt you in school?" I asked and she nodded.

"Physically?" I asked and she nodded again.

"Are you hurt? Do you have bruises?" my voice was full of anger. It didn't help that she nodded. Ok, James. Beath. You don't want to scare her.

"So you are bullied?" I study her for any sight of discomfort how I held her. I think she has some bruises on her stomach and back, maybe some on the thigh. She nodded again and my blood boiled. How could someone hurt this precious girl?

"Is it one person or some group?" First, she shakes her head then nods.

"Are some of those people from the orphanage?" Please God, tell me she is safe there. But no. She again nodded.

"Is this why you don't want to go there?" She thought about it. I think she doesn't know what to answer. Then she nodded but changed it to shake, and then she nodded again.

"Is there another reason why you don't want to go there?" She nodded and her eyes spaced out.

" Does it have some connection to the rules?" She didn't answer. So I asked again. And she nodded.

"Did you break the rules?" She nodded again ashamed.

"Are those rules from caregivers?" She nodded, so I continued.

"Do the caregivers know that you are bullied?" She nodded again. "Do they do something to help you?" And this time I saw red. She shook her head no.

"Do your bullies have the same rules as you?" She shakes her head no again.

"Do you have to do things they don't have to?" She nodded. "And caregivers are aware of it?" And again she nodded. Breathe James. It's ok.

"Are the caregivers nice to you?" She thought about it for a long time and then shook her head. Sweet little thing. Always thinking about what she can tell and what not.

"Do they hurt you?" She nodded. "Like spanking you or time off or kneeling on peas?" She shook her head. "Did they slap you?" She nodded again. "Do you have scars because of them?" If I hadn't her in my arms I would kill someone. The answer was yes. Again.

"Ok. One last question. Please if you can answer it with your words. What rule did you break?" And the answer takes me off guard.

"I made a friend." She said in a little voice.

"With Ryan?" I asked and she nodded again. I am in for some good torture. I think I will visit our dungeon full of our enemies. James! Stop thinking about your feelings and start caring about Anna.

"Ok. Sweetheart. I will take you with me and tomorrow we will find some solution."

"No, sir. I have to go home. Or they would talk to the police about me missing and you would be in trouble."

"Don't worry about me, sweetheart. The police can't do anything to me. I want to take you with me so no harm will come to you."

"Sir, I have to go home. They would be angry and worried if I didn't come. And they would suspect I told you something. I knew I have to go there tonight, I just wanted some time to calm myself. Don't worry. They won't harm me." After that sentence, she breathed out another word or sentence, but I didn't understand her.

"Are you sure? You are always welcome to come with me."

"I am sure, sir. Thank you."

"Ok, sweetheart. Let me at least walk you."

Almost before the orphanage, I heard a small: "Sir?"

"Yes, honey?" I answered.

"Could you please let it be a secret? Please. Don't tell anyone."

"Ok, sweetheart. It's only between us."

"By, sir." She waved and went to the door.

I waited a while and when I didn't hear anything unusual, I walked away. Maybe I am just paranoid and nothing will happen to her today. I've got to think about what to do to help her. Argh. Tonight will be another sleepless night.