Chapter 13

James' POV

My sons and I were waiting (not so patiently) for the doctors to tell us what was going on. It was hours when we last saw Elijah and Anna. I really wanted to barge in, but here I am, waiting.

When Elijah showed up, we were all spacing around. He had red eyes and was tired.

"Lijah, are you okay? Is she okay? Tell us what is wrong," I said while my mind was going mad.

"Dad, I... I just can't take it. After you left, the doctors, I called for, came. Anna was really scared, she didn't let anyone come near to her, but me. I... I had to sedate her and then we started the surgery. Don't worry, her hand will be okay, but she will have to spend some time in the cast. I wrapped the sprained ankle and it should be okay by tomorrow or the day after it. She exactly didn't help it by walking around. But dad... She had to be in so much pain. It hurts me to just think of it. She has bruises all over her body. I spread on the wounds some antibiotic ointment, so she wouldn't catch an infection. And the tight. Dad, I think it's too deep. I think it won't fade away at all or it will fade once she is an adult.  She is so strong. I don't understand how she could walk around and smile while she was in pain. Dad, why would someone do this to a child?"

"I don't know, Lijah, I don't know," I said.

Ryan, the angriest one out of us, asked: "Will she feel pain? Can we somehow help her?" he asked Elijah.

Elijah sighed and said: "Bub, right now she is not in pain. The only thing you can do is order her to stay in bed for some time, so her body can rest and better recover."

"It's the last eight days of school. I will call the school to tell them she will stay at home."

"Can I stay with her?'' asked Xavier, Will, and Ryan together.

"No," I said and if the glares could kill, I would be dead.

I started to walk away to prepare the lunch, but Elijah's voice stopped me.

"Guys? I... She... Shit. How to say that... I just wanted you to know that Anna can feel ugly and disgusted by the scars," Damien started to open his mouth, but Elijah shushed him. "Let me talk. I know it's not true, but from what she said, she feels insecure. We would need to repeatedly tell her that the scars don't matter to us and to be proud of them. We will have to stay by her side and help her realize how beautiful she is."

My eyes watered. I had to go out so I could be strong afterward. 

Once Anna woke up, she was more than ready to run around the house. It was almost impossible to stop her from doing it. Vince and Chris had to lecture her about how bad she could hurt her ankle if she will walk around.

We talked before, that we want Anna to be comfortable, so we wouldn't talk about the surgery and we would try to act normal.

I don't understand why, but Xander, Xavier, and Will wanted to show her how good they are at football. Of course, they meant well and wanted to ease her mind, but the seven-year-old didn't want to just look at them. She wanted to learn how to play so she could be on the team. Only after Ryan told her he wouldn't talk to her if she plays with them, she confirmed it was a bad idea.

Chris suggested they should play some boarding games. It also didn't go well. It turned out, Anna is really competitive, so are Ryan, Xander, and Will. And all of them couldn't win. So Elijah and I had to break the fight before Xander could break Will's nose.

After dinner, I told them to go watch some movies. My mistake was that I let them the choice to decide what movie they should watch. Will wanted horror, Xander wanted action, Xavier comedy, and Ryan voted on Disney movies because apparently, Anna hasn't seen a movie since her mum died. Anna was the only one, who didn't voice her opinion. I couldn't hear my thoughts. I wanted to shout at them to stop but Vince was faster than me.

"Shut up! Thanks. Now, Will - go for a snack, Xander - bring cushions, Xavier - bring drinks, Ryan - bring blankets. Anna, why are you standing up?"

"I wanted to help Will," she said in an excited voice.

"Anna, sit your butt down and stay put. Or you can go to bed," he added when she pouted.

"Fine," she said annoyed.

Vince turned on Frozen. The guys groaned and Vince smirked.

"You shouldn't shout about it. And if you don't like my choice you can always go to bed."

"It's okay Vince. It won't be that bad," replied Will.

In the middle of the movie, Anna cuddled to Xander. I was happy to see my family. I just wish Samantha was here. She would love Anna. The bitch would kiss her foot just to show how sorry she was. I know Samantha would accept her in our family within a second and would be more protective over her than I am. I watched my kids bonding.

After the movie, I told Anna a bedtime story.

Once she fell asleep I went to the warehouse. I had to let out some steam.

I spent hours with the bitch. I tortured her till she barely stayed alive and then told my men to fetch her up. I order them to play with her again and again till she breaks down and wants to be dead. After that, I want to give her hope. I will stop everything and let her think, she can get out of here. She is going to start to argue and try to get out and I am going to let her think she is not my main plaything anymore. I am going to play with her mind. I will tell her that I love her and I will forgive her if she follows my every order. She has to fall in love with me. Once she craves my touch I will torture her to death. And I will enjoy every second of doing it.