Chapter 4

There are no warnings for this chapter

——

It had been three days since we had returned from the expedition. It had been more successful that we had anticipated, with most of the areas being habitable and very few casualties, thanks to the order not to engage with the titans.

Still, despite the small victory, I couldn't help the nagging feeling in my chest.

My head ached from fatigue as I made my way down the hallway to the infirmary. Jean hadn't been in the hall at dinner since the return, so I had assumed he would be here, and had excused myself early to come and see him.

I didn't know what had possessed me to give a damn about his wellbeing, but it was strong enough to make me want to skip dinner, and that had never happened before. I hated that I was concerned for him.

You're only worried because you'll look bad if he dies. I told myself. That's it.

Still, my heart thumped as I pushed open the door to the infirmary. It was a small room with a few beds in the center for patients needing immediate care, and doors along the walls leading to more private rooms where other patients were kept under observation.

A quick scan of the room told me Jean wasn't in the urgent section, and the nerves in my stomach loosened slightly.

A small woman with her hair pulled back into a ponytail looked up at me as I walked in.

"Hello, dear." She said. There was a kind edge to her voice, and her eyes were gentle. She seemed exactly like the kind of person you would expect to be a nurse. "Do you need help?"

"Yes, um..." I felt a little embarrassed saying it out loud. "Well, I don't, I just came to check on someone."

"And who would that be, miss?"

"A scout. Jean Kirschtein." I said, pushing the awkwardness out of my voice. "Is he... how is he?"

"Jean..." She mulled the name over and moved to a desk I hadn't noticed in the corner. She pulled a stack of papers off the surface and started to root through them, searching for the name. "Ah! Yes. He was brought in three days ago?"

"Yes." I nodded slightly.

"Well, he seems to be recovering better than expected." The nurse said, reading the paper in her hand. "The head trauma is getting better quickly, and the cut on his arm is healing well."

I nodded again, holding my hands behind my back.

"Thank you." I started to turn away, but her voice interrupted me.

"Would you like to see him?" She asked, tilting her head.

I considered it in my head, weighing my options here. I had only come to check whether he was alive. I knew now that he was, so why did I want to see him?

"I-" I started, planning to decline, but something possessed me at the last minute. "Yes."

She nodded and lead me to a door.

"In here." She smiled sweetly before turning and walking away.

I thanked her again, waiting a few seconds before I knocked. His voice came from inside, inviting me in.

I pushed the door open and stepped inside. The room was small: there was a basin in the corner by the door, a chair in the middle of the room, and a bed against the wall opposite the door. Jean sat atop it, his back against the headboard, arms crossed across his torso and a cocky grin on his face.