Chapter 15

The day after, I was relieved to find that the pain had completely subsided. I had swung my legs off the bed with no consequences, and completed my training with no more discomfort than the familiar ache of my muscles.

Four more days went by without any interaction from Jean. I didn't even think he looked at me once. Unfortunately, I would have known, since I found my eyes slipping over to him far more frequently than I would have liked. We weren't even paired for training, so there was no conversation. Every time I looked at him and found that he wasn't looking back, I felt my heart drop a little further.

Once again, I spent my Sunday in the library with Armin, again receiving no attention or anything from Jean. It hurt a little to realize exactly how sincere his "not interfering" policy was turning out to be. He hadn't even tried to meet me in the clearing.

Was that it, then? I thought to myself. He got himself off and now he's just going to ignore me forever?

I spent most of Sunday night tossing and turning again, only this time there was no knock on my door, no figure moving outside my window. Had he meant for it to be a one time thing? I had been under the impression that it would be more of a "friends with benefits" type, but I supposed you did at least have to be friends for that statement to work out.

I woke up on Monday to Mikasa with her hands on my shoulders, violently shaking me back and forth and shouting my name repeatedly.

"Wake up!" She shrieked in my ear, and I groaned, the high-pitched noise grating at my eardrums.

"Holy crap, Mikasa. Are you trying to deafen me?" I groaned again, pulling the covers up over my head and attempting to snuggle back down to sleep. Unfortunately, the sheets were ripped off me. I winced as the cold air bit at my skin.

"It's 8:45!" Mikasa yelled, grabbing onto my arm and hauling me off the mattress.

"What?" I snapped upwards, my eyes wide. "Mikasa! Training starts in fifteen minutes!"

"I know!" She tugged me forwards. "I tried to wake you up earlier, but you wouldn't budge. I assumed you'd surface for breakfast, but you slept like a log the whole time!"

"Oh, for fuck's sake." I rubbed at my tired eyes and grabbed my washbag, briefly thanking Mikasa for waking me before snatching my towel and clothes and sprinting over to the bathrooms.

In my rush, I decided to minimize my time and brushed my teeth in the shower, using one hand to scrub myself down and the other to control my toothbrush. Admittedly, my plan was a little flawed, but it did mean that everything took slightly less time than usual. I flung on my towel and spat my toothpaste into the sink before I hurried to dry off.

I glanced at the clock as I dried myself and realized I now only had seven minutes to get into the courtyard.

Fuck. Fuck fuck fuck fuck.

I repeatedly swore under my breath as I tugged my clothes on over my still damp skin, pulling my shoes on and tying my un-brushed hair into a ponytail. I clumsily buckled my harness as I ran down the hall, still cursing.

The clock in the main hall told me I was already late as I sprinted past.

Oh, Levi is going to kill me. This is it. I'm going to die.

My shoelace came undone and I hopped as I tied it, not wanting to stop moving. I was still buckling the harness at my waist as I finally spied the rest of the group, stood by the forest at the edge of the castle grounds. Mikasa stifled a laugh as I ran over, letting me know that I did not look good at all. Levi glared daggers at me.