Chapter 20 - The plot thickens

It was past one when they went to bed. Megan yawned, glancing at Hermione who had fallen asleep on her book… she sighed, wishing she’d been able to speak to her. At least she’d finished her book. She got undressed, slid into her four poster and went to sleep. She had a curious dream, but for once, it wasn’t in a bad way. She was standing with Cedric, a few years older than she was now, overlooking the ocean, and a large silver phoenix circling gently around them. She and Cedric were holding hands. She glanced at him, and he smiled at her. Then, he turned to her and touched her face-

“AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH!”

Megan jumped upright. She darted out of the dormitory and into the common room. As she did, a shadow vanished into the small hall to the portrait.

“Hey! Come back!”

She hurried after them, but when she opened the portrait, they were gone. She looked round, but no one was in sight.

“Darn it,” Megan muttered.

She headed back to the common room and up the stairs to the boys’ dormitory.

“What’s going on?”

They were all gathered around Ron’s bed.

“Ron?”

The lights had been turned on, and Ron sat with a look of utmost terror.

“Ron, are you okay?” she asked, heading to his side.

“Black… with a knife…!” he gasped. “He was there! Look!”

His curtains were slashed. Megan stared, frowning. People outside were asking what the noise was.

“Come on, let’s go downstairs…” Megan said, taking Ron’s arm.

Soon, everyone was in the common room. Talking animatedly and nervously.

“Now, really, enough’s enough!” shouted an angry professor McGonagall.

She was standing before them in her tartan dressing gown, looking furious.

“I am as pleased as all of you that we won the match, but this is getting absurd!”

“Professor, it’s not what you think,-” Megan began.

“Professor, Sirius Black attacked me!” Ron interrupted. “He was standing over me with a knife!”

“That’s ridiculous, Mr Weasley!” she said. “What possible interest would Black have in you? You must have had a nightmare.”

“I wasn’t dreaming, I’m telling you he was there!”

“His curtains were torn, professor!” Megan said. “And I saw someone running away through the portrait hole.”

“Yeah, we all saw them,” Harry said.

“How could he possibly have gotten in, that’s ridiculous!”

“Why not ask Sir Cadogan, professor?” Percy asked. “He’ll know.”

So they all went out through the hole.

“Sir Cadogan, did you just let a man into Gryffindor Tower?” McGonagall asked.

“Why, yes, indeed, my good lady!”

McGonagall’s eyes widened in shock.

“… What?! But… but the password!”

“Had them all!” he said. “On a piece of paper.”

Megan noticed Neville go white. McGonagall too, had gone pale.

“Who was foolish enough to write down the passwords and leave them lying about?”