Chapter 21 - Not so blissful ignorance

Ron and Hermione were still furious at each other as they did their homework. The tension was so thick that after about ten minutes, Megan snapped her book shut and stood up, facing her friends with her hands on her hips.

“Okay, enough, this has got to stop.”

Ron and Hermione stared at her.

“What?” they asked at the same time, before glaring at each other.

“This,” she said, pointing at them. “Your ridiculous bickering.”

“Ridiculous?!” Ron said in outrage. “Her cat killed my rat!”

“Maybe,” she agreed. “But she didn't tell it to. And we told you several times cats' instinct dictates they chase mice and rats and other small animals like that. Didn't we?”

“Yeah, but I told her several times Crookshanks was after Scabbers and she never listened!”

“Because he would have done the same had it been any other rat!” Hermione said crossly. “It wasn't Scabbers per se!”

“Oh, so you can read cats' minds, can you?”

“No, I just know how the animal food chain works!”

“Enough!” Megan called. “You two have been through Devil's Snare, giant chess sets and evil plots! Don't you see how stupid this is?”

“Scabbers was my pet!”

“Will you give it a rest, Ron? Listen, I know you're upset about him missing, but you can't blame it on Hermione, all right?”

She raised a hand to silence him before he could argue and looked at Hermione.

“And Hermione, I know you love Crookshanks. I do, Mira's the same to me. But you should have taken Ron's concerns more into consideration. Because he had a rat, and we all knew it could be a target for your cat. And you should understand Ron's sad about Scabbers disappearing, whether he is alive or not.”

They were silent.

“I hate seeing you fight, and I know you hate it too. Can't you two just put it behind you? Don't you think it's gone on long enough already?”

They looked at each other, though not quite as resentfully as they had lately.

“... I'm sorry, Ron... it's true, I should have shown more consideration...”

“Yeah.” he said.

They waited.

“... Aren't you going to apologise?” Hermione asked, bristling.

“Why? It's your cat that ate my rat!”

Hermione let out a cry of anger and stormed off to the dormitory. Megan sighed. She'd finally been getting somewhere... but again, Ron's stubbornness had gotten in the way. She looked at Ron.

“What?”

She rolled her eyes and went off to bed as well.

That night, Megan was watching the map by wand light and popping chocolates into her mouth. She glanced around at the other girls sleeping in the other four posters. The moonlight gleamed through the window, difusing the light from Megan's wand. Just then, she frowned and raised the map closer to her eyes. There, down the hallway on the sixth floor was a label named…

“Peter Pettigrew…?” she whispered.

She then saw the chance to maybe find out the truth about Black and the murder of those twelve Muggles. She jumped out of bed, pulled on a jacket and her shoes and headed out the portrait hole, her wand alight. She kept a close eye on the label and marched quickly after it. Then, she turned a corner and ended right behind Pettigrew… but all she saw was herself. Her hair tied in a ponytail, a few strands running loose along her face, her jacket thrown on… She suddenly heard footsteps and quickly turned the map blank and extinguished her wand. But seconds later, a new wand light shone in her eyes.