Chapter 14 - Studious rulebreaker - when opposites collide

On the following Monday, Megan was glad to be able to think of other things, even if that meant having to endure Malfoy and the other Slytherins howling with glee at Gryffindor’s defeat, and of course, Megan’s second pathetic encounter with the Dementors. It ticked Ron off so much he almost threw a crocodile tongue in Malfoy’s face during Potions. But Megan held him back.

“Don’t, it’ll only give Snape an excuse to take points from Gryffindor.” She said.

At last, the bell rang. Megan and the others headed to their Defence Against the Dark Arts class. Ron was still fuming.

“If it’s Snape teaching again, I’m going off sick…” Ron said. “Who is it, Megan?”

She peeped in the room.

“It’s Lupin!” she said.

He did look a little tired and thinned, but he smiled at the class as they sat down. Soon, uproar burst out over the vampire essay.

“Did you tell him we hadn’t reached that part yet?” he asked, with a frown.

“Of course, but he wouldn’t listen!”

“Two rolls of parchment, he says…”

“He said we were really behind…”

“Two rolls of parchment!”

“Don’t worry, I’ll speak to him. You needn’t do the essay.”

Hermione of course, had already done it. Even Megan, not wanting to risk losing points, had done a good deal of it. It was a much more enjoyable lesson than Snape’s. Lupin had brought a Hinkypunk, a little ghostlike creature that looked pretty frail and harmless.

“These lure travellers into bogs. See the lantern its’ holding? People follow the light and get trapped.”’

The class ended and Megan made to leave along with the rest but-

“Megan? Can I have a word?”

“I’ll see you guys later.” She said to her friends.

They left. Megan turned to Lupin.

“Come with me. I need to head to the owlery and send a letter.”

They reached the grounds and he sent his letter. Hedwig followed them as they left.

“Hey, Hedwig.”

She stroked her feathers as Lupin attached his letter to a school owl.

“A nice owl you have,” he said.

“Thank you.”

Hedwig was a little restless, so Megan took her onto her arm to let her fly freely for a while. They paused by the lake. The sun was out now, even if it was a little chilly.

“… I heard about the match…” he said. “And I was sorry to hear about your broom, is it repairable at all?”

“No…” Megan said sadly. “The Willow smashed it to pieces…”

“I remember the year they planted it. It was my first year at Hogwarts… People used to play a game, trying to get close enough to touch it without being hit. When a student almost lost an eye, we were forbidden to go near it. A broom wouldn’t stand a chance…”

“… Did you hear about… the Dementors?” she asked with difficulty.

“I did, yes. I doubt anyone ever saw Professor Dumbledore that angry. They were getting restless… I suppose they caused you to fall?”