Chapter 7 - The Grim

The next morning, when they reached the Great Hall, they saw Malfoy sniggering with his fellow Slytherins. As they passed, he ridiculously impersonated a fit, making his gang laugh. Megan heaved a sigh and pulled Ron and Harry forwards.

“Ignore him...” she told them. “He's not worth it.”

They sat down at their table beside the Weasley twins.

“Hi, guys,” Megan said, less cheerfully than she usually did.

“Hi. Here, new third year timetables,” Fred said, handing them over.

“Thanks.”

“What's up?” George asked.

“Malfoy,” Harry said, nodding towards him.

They glanced at him.

“Little git...” George said. “Wasn't so cocky, yesterday, when the Dementors came around. Came running into our compartment, right, Fred?”

“Nearly wet his pants. What fun that would have been. If he had I would have taken a picture. That would shut him up...”

“I have to admit, though, I wasn't too comfortable myself,” George went on. “Downright creepy, those Dementors were. Horrible.”

Megan nodded.

“It's like they freeze you from the inside, isn't it?” Fred added.

“... You didn't pass out, though, did you?” Megan asked heavily.

“Forget it, Megan,” Fred said kindly, touching her shoulder. “They freak adults out just as much. Dad went to Azkaban once, remember George? Said it was the worst place he'd ever set foot in. He was all shaky and pale, wasn't he? They suck the happiness out of a place, Dementors. Prisoners go mad in there, I heard.”

“Besides, Malfoy definitely won't be grinning after our first Quidditch match.” Fred added. “They may have better brooms, but they've got a pathetic seeker.”

Megan smiled. The twins were great friends, and they always managed to make her feel better. The last time Megan had faced Malfoy, she had beaten him while sporting a broken arm and a tampered bludger. And even if he had a faster broom, she was a smarter player. He was more intent on taunting her than playing the game. Megan shook her bad thoughts out of her mind and helped herself to several large sausages.

“We're starting new subjects, today,” Hermione said happily.

“I think they messed up your timetable... you're down for about ten subjects a day!”

“I'll manage. I worked it out with professor McGonagall.”

“But you've got two subjects down at nine o'clock! That's impossible!” Ron said.

 “I'll manage,” she repeated, and put her timetable away.

 Hagrid came in at that moment. He paused in front of them as he passed.

 “All righ”? Yer' in me first lesson, after lunch! Can' wait.”

 He beamed as he went to the table.

 “Can't wait for what...?” Harry asked.

 Megan and Ron shrugged.

They headed off to Divination, which was in the North Tower. They panted as they finally reached the seventh staircase.

 “Which way is it...?” Ron asked.

 “Not that way,” Megan said when he turned to the right. “That's south, look, you can see the lake.”