Chapter 10 - Like cats and rats

There was excited chatter as the Gyrffindors left the class. Megan, however, was upset and confused. Lupin had clearly stopped her from tackling the Boggart on purpose. But why? Because he was afraid she’d pass out again like on the train…? No one else seemed to pay much attention to the incident, they were more interested in talking about their own prowesses. And that ball of light intrigued her too. There was nothing frightening about it… it seemed familiar but no matter how much she tried to remember, Megan just couldn’t think why. Ron and Harry were talking animatedly about the lesson.

“That was the best Defence Against the Dark Arts lesson ever, wasn’t it?” Ron said excitedly as they headed back for their bags.

“What? Oh, yeah…” Megan said,

“He’s certainly a good teacher.” Hermione said. “Pity, I’d have liked a try with the Boggart.”

“What would it have been, a piece of homework with nine out of ten?” Ron said.

 “Well, wouldn’t you like to know,” Hermione said coldly.

Megan was walking silently behind them. Harry glanced round.

“Are you okay, Megan?” he asked.

Snapping out of her thoughts, she glanced up.

“What…?”

“You look troubled.”

“Oh… no, it’s nothing. I’m a bit tired, I guess.”

It didn’t take long for Defence Against the Dark Arts to become most people’s favourite class. Of course, the Slytherin had to have something to say against it.

“Did you see his robes? He looks absolutely pathetic!” Malfoy said once, not bothering to be discreet.

But no one else cared, so no one paid much attention to him. The next lessons were just as interesting. They covered Red Caps, nasty goblin-like creatures that enjoyed places that had hosted bloodsheds, hence their name, and Kappas, creepy water creatures with webbed feet. Megan would have liked to be as happy with her other lessons, especially Potions. He was particularly unpleasant lately, and everyone knew the Boggart episode had probably not gone down too well. Neville was being bullied worse than ever. Another class Megan was far from excited about was Divination, where Trelawney was now revered by many in the class. And no one liked Care of Magical Creatures which had become rather dull since the Hippogriff incident. They were looking after Flobberworms, some of the most boring creatures in the magical and Muggle worlds alike.

“Why would anyone want to look after these things?” Ron asked grumpily after another boring lesson of poking shredded lettuce into their throats.

Megan nudged him hard in the ribs.

“Shut up, Ron! He’ll hear you!” she hissed. “He’s already upset enough as it is!”

As October began, something came to cheer Megan up. The Quidditch season was about to begin, and Oliver Wood, the team captain and Keeper, called a meeting to discuss tactics.

Quidditch was Megan's favorite sport. She also liked dancing (though never in front of anyone), but Quidditch was quite different. Seven players made a Quidditch team: a Keeper, three Chasers, who scored with a red ball the size of a football called the Quaffle, two Beaters, who protected their team mates from the bludgers, balls that pelted around the pitch knocking people out of the air, and one Seeker, who chased the smallest ball, the Snitch, that flew around and was worth a hundred and fifty points. The Keeper had to stop the other team from scoring. And Megan was the Seeker. Oliver was a tall, friendly seventeen year old in his final year at Hogwarts.