Spoken

it seemed too quick to be here again.

It seemed too quick to expose myself to these walls of memories, to endure the thoughts of guilt and loss, to piece this puzzle of happenings together...

And yet here I was, jittery and alert, walking the eerie empty hallways of the pizzeria, tucked into a spare oversized security uniform... ready for a long and draining shift, hoping to find some answers to everything along the way.

I check my smartwatch as Mike ushered me towards the security room and although this was his first night here too he seemed to know his way around. I swipe around on the small screen settings until I find the heart rate monitor, I tried to set up the application as soon as possible but I always found myself looking around the pizzeria with an unsettled feeling rising from my stomach.

To protect me, or at least look after my health if something unexpected happened, I set an alarm on my BPM, if it rose above 150 in case of a panic attack, an alarm would be sent to Doctor Fisher with my location. Although I was confident in my ability to calm myself down and had yet to tell him what I was doing in working here overnight, this was a sensibility I knew I had to take... just in case.

I'd rather be lectured to than suffer a breakdown.

Mike looked over his shoulder and I casually set my wrist down to my side, He pauses for a moment and then smiles. "It'll be good to have some company on shift."

He looks to his left and stopped. There was a little vacant room stuck between two hallways, The interior was lit by a single warm bulb dangling above, barely giving any visible light at all. The security room was messy, the desk was and crowded with old equipment piled onto it. The walls were lined with kids drawings and posters, trashed with fast food containers and wires dangled like jungle vines from every spare electric port in the ceiling. A loud fan churred back and forth.

Considering the rest of the pizzeria was flash and well maintained, an unkempt room like this was a little shocking, to say the least. Mike and I step inside, each of us silently meandering the tiny space. The first thing that really caught my eye was this large palm-sized buttons by the wall, a white one labelled 'Light' and a red one above it labelled 'Door' I wondered why such things were needed.

"(Y/N)," Mike called from the other corner of the room where there was a swivelling office chair he sat comfortably on. Between his hands was some kind of tablet, a wire strung from it connected to the entanglement crawling from the ceiling. He showed it to me, and I took it in my hands.

"You reckon the last guy left it here?" I ask, trying to find a way to turn it on. Mike shrugged his shoulders.

"I dunno-"

*BRRRRRRRRRRRR*

I jump from the desk with a little squeal from the loud noise of a phone ringing. Mike had caught me by the shoulders, making sure I didn't fall over from the shock. I quickly step away in my embarrassment and Mike just chuckles with a smirk.

This guy doesn't need to rub it in my face...

*BRRRRRRRRRRRR*

We both turn our at to the old handheld, Mike reached and answered it, holding the speaker up for us to both hear.

"Hello?" He spoke, eyeing me with some confusion as there was no immediate answer.

"Oh Hello?" A voice suddenly came back through the line.

"Yes Hello, I think you've called the wrong-"

"Hello, Hello?" The voice spoke, Mike's brows knitted together.