Trickery

It was the soft sound of a light music box tune thrumming prominently through scratchy black box speakers cornering the stage that indicated a start of today's well-awaited performance at Freddy Fazbear's pizzeria.

The simple song was so gentle in melody and had my heart constrict in every familiar beat.

Freddy's theme song was this golden trigger shooting me back into an age of innocence, a time before knowing a morbid truth no child should be exposed to; That there was an evil in the world, callously cold, and could easily strip security out of the places we hold dear.

In a way, this song gave me comfort. It returned a sense of what was gone. Here, now, listening to that light little lull; I was content. It was pure, happy, and I would not let this song be tainted with tragedy, I wanted this song to just be how it was supposed to be.

As the theme played on with heavy remembrance, Mother leads me to a stiff but comfortable red cushioned booth in the stage area, situated behind the audience row of seats.

My darling little brother jumped to meet me and quickly pulled into my lap as I sat down. The surrounding parents spoke in hushed voices, attempting to quiet their children for the show although their efforts seemed futile, there was always exceedingly irritability in the pizzeria's show area.

A sweaty, red-cheeked waitress briskly delivered a steaming tray of pepperoni pizza to the table. She had the same expression just like those who worked here years ago, with melancholic dark under eyes of weary exhaustion. "Enjoy the show." She huffed with a fake smile and a less than energetic tone.

I swiped up the first cheesy piece with ease and kindly handed one to Dante and our mother. While she declined, Dante surprisingly ate straight from my hand as he was too focused on the stage.

What an adorable little dork.

Suddenly, the sentimental theme song quieted away and my gut churned with that nostalgic feeling of anticipation. Everything felt old and new at the same time, and here, I found some joy.

"Welcome all, Welcome all!" An abruptly energetic young man's voice boomed from the speakers with some strangely outstanding clarity. "Listen now boys and girls, for a 'faztastic' show is about to begin!" The kids to cheer from their seats, clapping and calling for the animatronics.

Dante messily fussed with his mouth full of pizza, giggling and squealing giddily in pointing his little stubby fingers over to the stage. The starry purple curtains opened up all the way to reveal the musical setup illuminated in pink and yellow lights that sparkled the reflective stars. Though, the scene was void of any animatronics.

"Freddy's here! It's starting, sissy It's starting!" Dante exclaims from my lap. My lips fell apart with my brother's words.

That was Freddy??

Freddy's voice... was remarkably different than what I knew as a kid. It was less goofy and with a husky lightness to his tone, much like someone my age and definitely not the animatronic voice of my childhood.

This Freddy was new, freshly fitting and easily got this young crowd - even the parents and staff - fully engaged.

The charismatic voice came again like a blessing to the ears, "We hope you've settled in and taken your seats, ordered some delicious treats! Because the gang and I are here to rock and roll!... so, are you ready?!"

"YEAHHHH!"

Broad harmonious acclaim was sung from the children brandishing their merchandise of the titular characters. Their young voices drew the venue under great strength in volume.