Ananke's Curse II

'Father, don't do this', he muttered to himself, shaking his head as he struggled to understand the necessity of his father's decision.

After the vellum had absorbed a drop of his ichor, it had lit up and he heard his father voice, disembodied in his inner conscience, sounding oddly distant.  

This is what it had said, verbatim...

"Son, Perseus, my eldest and my wisest. 

(Even this carried enough of fatherly fondness to once again move Perseus to tears, but this was all a remembrance)

 — I owe you my apology for waking you at this ungodly hour, but you must understand the cruciality of this haste. Fate had played us cruelly, my son, and as I have no other choice left, I see it only fitting for my children to rule the world I leave behind me. 

'Eldest? Children? wasn't he the only child of Kronos?'

'...leave behind me? where was father going and why didn't he any other choice?'

Perseus had so many questions and no choice but to listen further.

— In one of my rare sleeps, I was visited by Ananke. If you remember our lessons well, I am sure you recognize that name from our talks of the divine hierarchy. Her presence  in physicality alone was enough to alleviate any doubts of their power, the greater titans, the primordials. Even as she stood alone, I could neither turn my face towards her nor lift my head. Her raw power was enough to ground me, to bring me to my knees, and for the first time in my Titanhood, I was very aware of my vulnerability. My being seemed to be vibrating at a discordant frequency that emanated deeply from her. I came to the crushing realization that We the rulers of Gaia herself, were no more than mere insects to her. If I were to lift my head I would have glimpsed at her, and surely such a sight would sear itself unto my eyes, but the knowledge that  a single thought from her would be sufficient in ending me, and the entirety of my brethren, was enough to ground me and prevent any such folly at the cursed hands of my curiosity.

 Her voice sounded as if it were the very rumbling of mountains, the vibrato rush of a crashing waterfall, the sound of an exploding star being consumed in a wave of heat and light. She had warned me. It was painful to hear, yet I could not move, could not avoid what fate she had inevitably bequeathed me. She warned me of an approaching end, and I was given no choice but to accept it, or it would mean the death of my children. She warned me of the arrival of the age of Gods and told me that without a reason for them to cooperate, they would fall into tyranny, war and death.

My child, your brothers and sisters, they are prophesied to rule the earth but not without  conflict amongst them. I had no choice, until I decided to make one. If it takes a war, and eternal damnation then so be it.

Perseus, I have already summoned and briefed my generals. There are some decades left to this plan to come into motion, but one can never be overprepared. I would request you to return to the palace as soon as you complete your research, and then I can tell you the details in person. Your role in the age of gods is significant if undermined. While they would rule at the front of it, it will be you who would be holding the worlds together.

There comes no good out of delaying what is destined to happen. If the wellbeing of my children means aeons of hatred and torture in the depths of Tartarus, then it must be so. He will be delighted to have me under his power, to torment me again for it is afterall I, who chose to wield the very weapon that brought an end to his rule and his brother's. Maybe your siblings would not detest me if they ever learn the truth.

Awaiting your presence,

Your father.

The still-young god could not fathom how and why his father had accepted something so cruel as what fate had burdened him with. Not only eternal agony in the seething crutches of Tartarus, but something far far worse, the hatred of his beloved children, the very ones for whom he was willing to make this sacrifice.

A/n: Double update!!! a gift for being patient. Enjoy.

Peace in!