Feedback Quality

🥀💀💀🥀

This is mostly here as a page for when a partnership might need a refresher on what kind of feedback we, at Tatted Trouble, are looking for. It also covers our expectations for those applying.

 It also covers our expectations for those applying

So this bookclub is NOT about grammar. You can feel free to point our grammatical issues, as we always need that, but that's not why people are signing up to be a Tatted Trouble member. People want feedback on story, so, grammar doesn't count towards the total comments. Although feel free to point it out if you see it! But just know they don't count for leaving feedback.

YOU DON'T HAVE TO FIND PROBLEMS IN EVERY CHAPTER. If the chapter is perfect, please don't feel like you still have to conjure up a critique. You are allowed to just enjoy a chapter and give positive feedback. If anything, this makes it an easy week for you and the writer will feel good about themselves.

That being said, if there are not many errors, don't just walk away from the chapter. Leave thoughtful feedback, please, even if there is nothing to critique. Feedback is about positive and negative.

--Maybe make a fun prediction.
--Maybe just give a long monologue about what your opinion of the MC is.
--You can always talk about what your favorite part was and why.
--You can also let your critique partner know how this chapter changed your opinion of the book.
--You can mention what you hope doesn't happen.

Just be engaged 😊

Give suggestions from time to time. Don't try to re-write someone's stuff, but feel free to re-write a small quote, or something similar, to illustrate what you mean. It can help get an idea across. Or suggest a better way for the MC to do x, y or z. Suggestions can compliment critiques.

Focus on the elements of the story, not just lines you don't like. Did a character do something in the chapter that made you like them? Are you on chapter 5 and still not 'hooked'? Please, let your writing buddy know!

Remember this bookclub has the goal in mind to get at least half of your circle's book read, if not more. Treat it as such. Your partner is looking for feedback on their story. So maybe focus on holistic themes/issues/problems/strengths you notice as you get further in. This could help give you some ideas to discuss if you wanted.

Focus on the good, and point a spotlight on the negative. At the same time, we don't want you to sugarcoat things. If something needs a lot of work, your partner needs you to tell them. But don't focus on it. Don't keep bringing it up, unless it's relevant.

Remember, you aren't necessarily reading for your pure enjoyment. Yes, we want you to enjoy your partnership. We work really hard to pair people with like-minded writers. But this is a relationship and a feedback group, which means, sometimes, you might have a chapter or book that isn't fully your jam, but this is about helping the author, so in turn, they help with your book as well.

We will be monitoring the comments, so they need to be of substance. We won't come smiting down with the ban hammer at the first infringement of quality, but we will be sending gentle reminders if we see the minimum requirements are not being met :)

🥀💀💀🥀

E X A M P L E
BELOW:

IMAGINE WE ARE READING LORD OF THE RINGS

Here is an example of a comment that we don't want to see:

"Loved the chapter. It was really engaging and I couldn't find a single thing wrong. The enemy seems really intense and poor Frodo. I cannot wait for next week!" 

That comment, technically, is really nice to receive as a writer. However, not when you're in a bookclub and looking for feedback. In bookclubs, we don't always need to find something wrong, but writers do need to know what worked. Especially in detail. Pointing out small details might tell the writer that they are planting their seeds correctly, or might tell them that an arc they were worried about is actually working really well.

A better way to write that would be:

"Loved the chapter. Frodo is shaping up to be a great protagonist, especially since he seems conflicted. I really love how the ring tempts him at times, proving not just how powerful the ring is, but how corruptible everyone is to it. It heightens the stakes for them making it to Mount Mordor. 

The Wraiths are gnarly too. I seriously get super nervous whenever they appear, and I am also really eager to learn about their past and how they came to be. 

Also, where is Gandalf??? I hope he comes back soon. These hobbits need him

I look forward to next assignment, and I really hope we get to see the hobbits escape the wraiths for good."

Yes, we know that that is a lot more work...but that's the point of this club. There are plenty of other more casual clubs that are geared more towards getting reads and receiving more general feedback. 

But at Tatted Trouble, we want writers to feel like they got genuine feedback on their books ❤️

Things to remind yourself if you are struggling with the feedback you're receiving, because maybe the critiques are piling up:

🐣Feedback helps us grow. It can be tough, and we may need a stiff drink afterward or a whole gallon of ice cream, but it will help you see the errors in your book. Even if you don't agree with the feedback, there is a good chance there is a truth in there somewhere

🐘If you are really discouraged, then maybe take some of the feedback and apply it. See how the story changes. If it's for the better, then great! If it's for the worst, or changes nothing, then move on knowing you simply disagree with that feedback :)

🦍PM is if it's too much. We can talk to your partner and see if some communication can help

🦉Just be glad you're getting all of this pointed out now before you try to query/self-publish/put the book down for good! It's like smoothing out an edge -- it can take a few passes to get it just right :)