24 | nights in waikiki

"I can't believe you talked me into doing this," I groaned, balancing my phone on my shoulder

I stepped out of the car and waved bye to Anthony. He drove away and I made my way up the steps of the unfamiliar house, hearing the echo coming through from the other end.

Two versions of Zachariah rang out as he replied, "It's 'cause you love me," and opened the door.

I dropped the phone into the palm of my hand and ended the call while I slipped off my shoes.

"We'll see about that."

He ushered me inside, placing his hand on the small of my back as he guided me through the house. It reeked of cigarette smoke and alcohol, but, thankfully, we weren't planning on staying long.

We landed in a living room full of people scattered about. I recognized a couple of guys Zachariah played music with, but most of them were unfamiliar.

One of them stepped up to us with his hand outstretched.

"This is Makana. I don't think you two have met."

I accepted his handshake. "I don't think so. I'm kind of a social shut-in."

He laughed nonchalantly. "Kind of expected if you're Zach's bestie."

"Please tell me he doesn't use the word bestie."

Zachariah elbowed me. "So what if I do?"

"I think I'd have to reevaluate our entire relationship."

Makana maneuvered an arm between us, using the leverage to pull me away from Zachariah and toward the drinks.

He waved his hand in the air with a flourish. "What's your vice of choice?"

"Anything but vodka."

"Your wish is my command." He grabbed a red cup and poured a double shot. "I don't think I've seen you around before."

The liquor sent a shot of warmth straight down my throat which landed at the pit of my stomach. "Like I said—social shut-in. And Zach doesn't go out much anymore. He's one of the few people that can drag me out of the house."

Makana laughed, his hand drifting forward to pour more into my drink. As slyly as I could, I shifted my hand away.

"You two should come out more," he said.

Call it a woman's intuition, but something about this guy rubbed me the wrong way.

"Life kind of sucks but we try to when we can."

He turned to lean against the table, facing me. "What kind of work do you do?"

"Bartender and waitress."

"Ah," Makana opened his mouth as if something clicked in his mind. "Like Zach."

"More or less."

"Interesting."