acknowledgments

Hi!

        If you've made it this far, I'd like to say thank you so much for sticking with me on this journey. 'Waves of Us' is without a doubt the most personal thing I've ever written, and I cannot begin to tell you how much this book means to me. Some of you are aware that this is inspired by real life events that have helped shape me into who I am today, as well as people I'll always love with all my heart.

        It's hard to put into words what this story means to me. I think, at the heart of it, it's an exploration of love—for friends, family, the places we call our own, and, most of all, ourselves. Alexandra is a flawed character who makes mistakes but always seeks to promote growth and change. She loves without always knowing how to express herself well. She's just trying her best. And at the end of the day, I think that's all we can ask of ourselves.

        This story features what some might call a 'love triangle' except that it isn't. What I think is important to take away from this dynamic in the story is that these are three characters who all loved and supported each other in their own ways. Friendships can be as complicated as any romantic relationship, and the one shared between Alex and Emmie is important to me. One that I hope all of my readers come from with a sense of appreciation.

        I know this book isn't perfect by any means. But this is my mess, in so many more ways than just this being my story. It was fun to write and my ultimate passion project, while offering me the opportunity to reflect on an important part of my past. This story will always hold the most special place in my heart.

        I would like to give a special shoutout to my friends Ashtyn, Cate, Han, Jordan, Kay, Katie, Kayla, Ohlee, Phoebs & Thy for always supporting me. Seeing all of their comments cheering Alex on and her victories, criticizing her when necessary, and championing her development meant so much to me.

        Here's to the people who have inspired me and these characters. Even though most of us are scattered in different places now, I'll always hold you in a very special place in my heart for teaching me how to love. We've been through a lot over the years, more than is even on these pages, and I'll always be here for you.

        Here's to Hawaii, this very special place I call my home. We've had a complicated history and I still have so much to learn, but you are truly one-of-a-kind and I owe you so much. To the people and lands that we've lost. To our rich and vibrant culture. To the beauty of this place that inspires me each and every single day of my life. May our kingdom continue to thrive through our perseverance and will.

        And most of all, to myself. You did it. You made it another day. You accomplished another goal. Though our relationship is the most complicated of all, I'm proud of you. Not everyone's story gets told, but you've told your own, and somehow, other people have come to like it. That's gotta mean something, right? I think one day you'll come to love it too.