HEADPHONES AND SWITCHBLADES

Chapter One: Headphones and Pocket Knives
"A cute face doesn't mean anything when your a dick."

AELLA TRUEBERRY walked the grassy fields of Alfea dumbfounded, the squeaky suitcase drawing attention as it trailed behind her

AELLA TRUEBERRY walked the grassy fields of Alfea dumbfounded, the squeaky suitcase drawing attention as it trailed behind her. Her eyes followed every shadow to memorization. She knew this was another world, some other realm, but girls still updated their Instagram stories and boys chatted amongst themselves, so how different could it truly be from London?

She passed a couple - no, acquaintances - and felt an urge to inquire about directions. A girl, a beautiful red head with tanned skin and an echoing laugh and a boy with height that angered the unnaturally short Aella.

Slowly, she shyly stood in front of the couple, turning her head to the girl. She smiled gingerly, "hi, um- fairy, yes?"

The girl smiled, looking from Aella to the boy, annoyed at her intrusion. She let out a soft chuckle, "is this how you approach everyone?"

"Only when I'm lost. Fairy dorms... that way, yes?"

The boy spoke up, his hand in a 1 motion, "yes, as I was telling her, your in front of the specialist hall right now. Fairy dorms are that way."

The girls shared a look, Aella whispering quietly, "did he just mansplain?"

"It's kind of his thing."

They shared a laugh, leaving the boy to stand awkwardly as they joked. An unfamiliar voice erupted behind him, "quit perving on the first years."

The girl shared a look with Aella, pointing towards the fairy building, "I should go. Bloom."

"Aella," she greeted as Bloom wandered off. The two boys eyed her with an expectant look as she nodded, muttering, "and that would be my cue to leave."

She walked to the front of the specialist hall, leaning against a pole. Her eyes scanned the foreign area, watching as everyone spoke to someone. She slowly pulled out her headphones, bringing them to her ears and playing calming music. She brought the sound to full volume as students walked past her, suddenly desperate to drown everything else out.

Fingers brushed against her cheek as one earphone popped out of her ear, the song paused. With it, her patience. Her head shot up so quickly that it was worthy of whip lash, "who in hel-"

A smug smirk stood in front of her, almost invisible stubble kissing the boys face. Between his lips was a cigarette, blocking her ability to breathe. The boy spoke in a raspy voice, no doubt from all the smoke he takes in, "that must have been loud. I've been trying to get your attention- hey!"

She took the cigarette from him, smashing it against the pole and watching it fall to the floor. A hint of regret hit her, but she ignored it with a smug smile of her own, "that's rather bad for you." Her voice was like honey, sweet and calm.