Truth in the web of lies

"D-d-dark Lord"

Of course, I would run into the Dark Lord. My life clearly hates me these days. I bowed my head, which was extremely hard considering I was still laying on the ground.

"Ah, Persephone, I was expecting someone else to greet me, but no matter. You can lead me to the Academy, can you not?"

"Of course, My Lord."

Hearing him say my middle name was weird, but him helping me get up was even weirder. I am so scared that I have no idea what to do, except making sure I don't anger him. That is bad even when I had my powers, not to mention now when I am mort... powerless. We were walking all the way to the Academy, to Dorian Grey's room, to be more specific. What I don't understand is why? He could've just teleported here. I am so confused and scared and whatnot. I opened the door and moved back so he can go in first, 'cause in his eye's we are beneath him.

"We are here, My Lord."

"Ah, thank you Persephone, but do tell me why are you not entering beside me."

"We are beneath you, My Lord, we are only here to serve you. We don't deserve to stand beside you."

The number of times I said My Lord is driving me crazy. And he himself is not making this any less... well I don't know what to call this. And calling me Persephone, no one is doing that. Well except for Dorian.

"Yes, that is true. But you Persephone, are not like them. So come on, walk."

I just took his hand, confused more than ever. Dorian was not here. Great. Now what.

"Hmm, Dorian Gray, my trusted follower. But where is he? You know this place, why don't you go and fetch him?"

I just bowed my head. I don't think I can speak anymore, my mouth just won't cooperate. I have no idea where Dorian is, so when I went around the corner I started running from door to door. The last thing I want is for The Dark Lord to get angry. I heard something and stopped running. I opened the door and...

"Dorian? What in Heaven?"

"Ah, Sephone, I was just interviewing my new staff."

"Don't care. You have a guest waiting, and I suggest you come and fast."

"I think they can wait."

"No, Dorian, He can't. Now come on."

"Alright, but first answer me, which one do you..."

"I don't have experience with sex-demons, Dorian. I am sure they are all good, now. Come. ON!"

I dragged him almost all the way but stopped a few meters before the entrance.

"Why such a rush, Sephone? He is just a customer."

I stopped and turned to him.

"He is not just a customer. I don't want to get on his bad side."

"Bedside or Bad side?"

"You. Are. Sick! Now come on"

I pushed him inside

"Well, well, what have we here? Normally, the Gray room has a strict dress code, but in your case, I do believe I'll make an exception."

I let out a small laugh. I know it is not appropriate at a time like this, but Dorian being Dorian is something I can't control. I made my way to the bar, slowly, trying not to burst into laughter.

"Don't you recognize Me, Mr. Gray? We struck a bargain, you and I. Eternal youth for your soul."

The realization hit Dorian in the face like a cold summer breeze. It took my whole willpower not to start laughing.

"I live only to serve you, My Lord"

"That's fine, but where is My handmaiden? Where, oh, where, is My Lilith?

"Here I am, Dark Lord"

And here she is, Miss Wardwell. Dorian turned to me with a questioning look. I explained to him everything I could. Let's just say, he is pissed at Sabrina for making me a mortal. He poured us a glass of whisky, while we waited for the whole Lucifer-Lilith conversation to be over.

"In the meantime, I must attend a certain wayward members of My flock. Mr. Gray, I think some clothes would be fitting, don't you?"

"Of course, My Lord"

"And for my companion as well."

He said gesturing at me. I begged Dorian not to leave me here, but you can't say no to the Dark Lord without suffering the consequences, so once again I was alone with him. I tried not to face him, just kept my head down, but he had other plans.

"You were not surprised when you saw Lilith."

"No, My Lord."

"And why is that?"

This small talk is making me quite uncomfortable, but I need to keep going.

"I learned who she was not long after the Greendale thirteen."

"Ah, I see. Now..."

He touched my shoulders, which made me want to jump. I felt something. Wait. He gave me my magic back, but, why?

"Why?" - I said barely hearing myself

"Why, what?"

"My magic. I tried to stop Sabrina. I almost stopped..."

"You stopped nothing, Persephone. You tried, yes. But failed. Now, this is the part where you promise not to wrong me again and thank me for My gift."

"Of course, My Lord, I am grateful for the gift you bestowed upon me, and I promise that I would never wrong you again, Dark Lord."

"There, that wasn't so hard."

"I still don't understand why. Others would be killed immediately."

"Yes, but as I said before, you are not them. And I know quite a lot about you, all those talking sessions we had..."

"What? I never..."

"You don't know yet. You found out who Lilith was with ease, and yet you still didn't figure out..."

'Who I am' - The voice rang in my head.

I dropped my glass as it shattered into millions of pieces. No, that's not, it can't be. How was I so stupid? How did I not noticed it sooner?

"I...Not...Why? Why me?" - was all I could say

Dorian came in with a fresh set of clothes. The Dark Lord took his.

"That is for another time. Now. Dress up, while I have a talk with My flock, and then we will meet with Sabrina."

With that, he left.