The Destruction of the Denali

“We shouldn’t be gone for more than two days- Bella? Can I have a word with you in the hallway please?” Carlisle beckoned to her from the kitchen.

“sure thing, Carlisle, just gimme a sec” she called, wiping her hands on the apron she was untying from her waist. “what’s up?”

As she looked up from wiping her hands she was shaken by the fevered look in Carlisle’s eyes, “Carlisle what is it, what’s wrong?”

“Bella, Bella you have to promise me.” He seized her shoulders “anything Carlisle, you know that”. “You have to promise me to take care of Esme” he continued breathlessly.

Hurt that he would ever imagine she wouldn’t she shook her head confusedly “of course, I…” Carlisle interrupted her again: “No” he said fiercely “I cannot lose her Bella, I will not fail her in this. I just can’t, I can’t…” “We’re not going to let anything happen to Esme, or to anyone on this family…I won’t take any chances – but you have to go to keep them safe” she pried his fingers from her shoulders, squeezing them reassuringly; “Go”.

“Carlisle?” Esme walked out into the hallway. He crushed her into his arms and buried his face in her hair. Even with no gift of mindreading between them, their souls bled and fed into each other so that it was unnecessary. “I’ll be fine” She guided his hands down to curve around the bulge beneath her blouse where their hearts now lay in one tiny beautiful baby, “we’ll be fine”.  “Just make sure daddy gets back safely and we’ll all be fine”. “I love you” Carlisle kissed her and smoothed his hand over her cheek before the sound of the Jeep starting up forced him to leave. “I love you too” Esme whispered from the window where she watched him leave; “hurry back…for both of us”.

“It’s too late”, Edward warned Carlisle as they approached the Denali coven’s house: “Kate’s already taken the herbs or medicine or whatever foul mixture the Volturi has given her…No she’s not dead” Edward voiced Carlisle’s unspoken question, “but it doesn’t look good”.

 As the thoughts and voices filled his head as they got nearer to the house Edward broke into a sprint. “Damn it” Carlisle cursed as he slammed the car door and went to the trunk for his bag that contained any and all medicines he thought would work on one of his kind. Before Edward could brass handle of the front door, it opened to reveal a wild eyed Tanya – the hem of her skirt suspiciously soaked in blood. “Carlisle”, she called out hoarsely “come quickly, hurry”. The usually calm and collected Kate lay curled on the floor of the hallway. Her body twitched and twisted and seized, wracked by the expulsive effects of whatever vampiric poison had been in the now shattered glass vial.

Desperate animal-like keening issued from the mouth of the tortured creature that lay in a pool of its own re-enervated blood. Mouth set grimly, Carlisle kneeled on the crimson soaked floorboards and held Kate still so that he could examine her. “There was something wrong before she took the potion”, his marble hands worked quickly across her bloated skin.

Edward had dragged Tanya aside from the gory scene and into the living room and settled her, shaking, onto the couch. And was now working with her to try and pull out more memories from her visit with the Volturi.

“Carlisle” Edward called, returning from the living room where a shaking Tanya remained on the couch. “Does the phrase ‘ephemena sangui del via’ mean anything to you?” Carlisle closed his eyes and sighed, emotions aging his face as no other earthly element or centuries had succeeded. He re-opened his eyes, “The Ephemerus…I thought it had been destroyed in the Russian revolts, you remember Dmitri and Sergei from our last encounter with the Volturi”.

Tanya came through from the other room, “Will she live? What is happening and what is the Ephemerus? Aro said it would work!” Her voice climbed shrilly. 

“And it did”, Carlisle withdrew a syringe from Kate’s arm and wiped his hands on the fresh towel Tanya had brought in with the basin of hot water. “The foetus is dead - She’s miscarried the baby, but the potion works both ways. Normally it wouldn’t have the power to kill a full vampire, but in this unique instance the body is already weakened from the pregnancy which I have discovered causes the blood and heart to re-enervate, in layman’s terms: become active again making the vampire partly mortal. So short and sweet, it can best be described as a potent anti-venom, and no – I don’t know what it’s effect will be on Kate”.

An earsplitting scream broke the tense silence that had settled over the room. Kate’s grunts and moans grew more feral as she sweated and heaved, fighting the overwhelming pain. She was beyond reason and her stare was blank and drawn inward as Carlisle tried to find her absent gaze; “Kate don’t fight it - you have to let go, the pain has to come so that this can be over.”

It was grotesque as any vampire had ever been, being transcendentally striking creatures. With a bellow Kate’s writhing frame finally stilled. Carlisle bent over her and bit her where her largest veins were to supplement the venom he’d had already injected with the syringe. “With any luck this will boost her venom levels back to a nontoxic state…and she’ll pull through this”.

Tanya sponged and cleaned off her sister’s battered body until it was as pink as the newborn she would now never have.  Carlisle gathered the gory sheets and burned them with the disfigured remains of the lifeless babe in the backyard. Edward watched from the kitchen window as Carlisle knelt in front of the makeshift funeral pyre and crossed himself with lips moving in silent prayer. Edward and Carlisle watched as she poured bleach on the floor and the walls, her shoulders un-tensing as the metallic pong of blood dissipated from the room.

Ooooh! Will Kate die? Will Alice have any more visions? Will something happen at the house while Carlisle and Edward are gone? Things are getting serious... What do you guys think? Please please please comment I would love another 5 or 10 comments before I post the next chapter <3 <3 <3 

p.s. girls or boys???? names for the babies? Lemme know!