Chapter 11: Foreshadow & Aftershocks

“I’ve never seen Carlisle like this” Edward said in a hollow voice shaking his head as he faced his brothers who nodded in mute agreement.

“I spent 3 hours in that room with him today focusing – and he still lost it like I’ve never seen” Jasper followed up grimly.

Emmett just growled and shook his head as he paced from one side of the room to the other.

“Was this my fault Rose? Alice asked from the window seat in Rosalie’s bedroom. “If I had had the vision sooner, Jane wouldn’t have tried to hurt Esme and Carlisle wouldn’t have had to jump in front of her and get hurt himself” – her voice cracked tearfully on the last word as she hugged her arms around herself.

“Don’t think like that sugar, you don’t need to worry about anything except growing my nieces or nephews in that big belly of yours and keeping them safe and strong – no one in this family expects more than that from you, even if they do forget from time to time”.  Alice massaged her lower abdomen and leaned her head on her sister’s shoulder, not waking even when Jasper came in to take her to their bedroom.

 Emmett followed his brother into his and Rose’s bedroom and lifted Rose into his lap still perched on the windowseat. “Did I ever tell you how proud I am of you? You’re being so strong for everybody Ro”. She pulled her husband’s arms even tighter around her and leaned into him as he rubbed her swollen belly “I don’t feel strong, Em…” her voice broke somewhere between laughing and crying. She lay back, loving the feel of his muscular arms and large strong hands relieving her of the weight of their baby, cradling it in his arms and in his heart.

A pregnant vampire was truly an amusing sight. Especially when said vampire was Alice who could not sit still in anticipation of the ultrasound scheduled for that morning. Pregnancy had slowed her speed and made her gait clumsy so that Emmett compared her to a penguin the way she waddled speedily across the floor talking animatedly.

Carlisle saved the day, and Emmett, by popping his head in the door “Ultrasound is ready. Esme my darling you’re first. He held out a hand and helped Esme to her feet.

Once the door to the exam room was closed he twirled her around, lifting her off her feet and sat her down on the table taking her with his mouth hungrily. She wrapped her arms around his neck and leaned into the kiss with answering appetite. He tucked a stray piece of hair behind her ear “ready?”.  “Mm hmm” She nodded eagerly as she leaned back in the chair. Lying awkwardly in the reclining chair almost 6 months pregnant, she pushed up her blouse, a sheer crepey lavender chiffon top with a fitted cream camisole underneath and tucked her hands behind her arched back so she was a little more comfortable.

Carlisle’s ever steady hands could almost be called shaky as he smoothed on the conductive gel and readied the transducer. Blurry granules formed gritty swirls on the screen until they came together to form the shape of their baby.  Carlisle rolled the probe around, clicking the mouse intermittently until a clear picture could be seen on the monitor. 

Grinning broadly he swiveled around in his chair to face Esme. He chuckled, “Es, open your eyes sweetheart, look- look at our baby”.  Esme had squeezed her eyes shut, but the moment they opened the tears started flowing. She reached over and pulled Carlisle down so that he was sitting beside her on the chair. “Tell me these are happy tears” he whispered against her ear.

She nodded, her lips trembling as happiness welled up inside her spilling out in the form of tears that were now dampening her cheeks. He kissed them away as they fell, both watching the tiny baby on the screen roll around, keeping a fist curled up by its face. “That’s our son”, Carlisle’s voice cracked and broke. He buried his head in Esme’s shoulders as he embraced her, rejoicing in the new life that was growing between them.  Despite her increasingly unwieldy frame Esme practically floated out of the room. Carlisle kept her close in his arms as they stood in front of the others in the hallway outside the examination rooms. “Do you want to tell them or should I?” he murmured pulling her close. She just shook her head, eyes still bright with tears. “We’re having a boy” he nearly sang out much to Esme’s joy and amusement.  Alice clapped her hands and squealed while everybody else pressed in for a group hug.

When they broke apart Emmett snickered and Jasper blushed while Edward coughed lightly in Carlisle and Esme’s direction who were still locked in an embrace. They broke apart looking like two teenagers caught at a drive-in.

“My turn my turn my turn!” Alice pealed as Jasper lifted her into position. He sat by her and stroked her hair while Carlisle performed the preliminary tests. It looked as though the ever-slender Alice had stuffed a basketball under her shirt and she still had a lot of growing to do before her babies were due to be born.

Baby A and Baby B are looking good, good sizes for their dates aaand. He drew out the last word; “I see two healthy baby girls in there”. For once Alice had nothing to say and just shook her head wordlessly beaming. Jasper’s eyes never moved from the image of his tiny daughters as he asked “They’re okay, they’re healthy? Everything’s alright?” Carlisle nodded as he offered his arm to Alice to help her to sit up. “Looks perfect” he reassured Jasper who was being dragged bodily from the room by his exceedingly pregnant wife “Two little girls!” she shrieked before she was fully through the door. More celebratory hugs were exchanged and he was wrestled into a man-hug by his thrilled brothers and soon to be uncles to his children.

Emmett was looking decidedly ruffled by the time it came his and Rosalie’s turn. He felt awkward and big and clumsy next to the delicate medical equipment and sterile surroundings. He reached for Rosalie’s hand with both of his and pressed it to his lips. She shot him a nervous smile and he noticed her trembling. “What’s wrong baby?” he asked rubbing her hand. She shook her head “I just want them to be healthy” she choked out as the probe touched her stomach. At the ‘thwump-thwump’ sound of their baby’s heart they looked towards the screen and the avidly kicking miniature person on it oblivious of its captive audience.

 Emmett felt an unfamiliar pricking behind his eyes and squeezed them shut against the overwhelming emotion. That he was going to be responsible for this tiny precious little baby he and Rose had made together floored him. “God I’m so happy baby, I’m so proud of you”; Rosalie just nodded and snuggled closer into him. “and you are having a 100% healthy and happy baby boy, congratulations you two!” In one fell swoop Emmett picked her up and twirled her around once before setting her down making sure she was okay; “Yeeeeehaaaaaaaaa, hell yeah baby!!”.  

He blushed sheepishly, “whoops, going to have to watch that when our son is born” he noted pridefully. He let out a victory war whoop as he exited the room with a gleeful Rose in tow to share in the excitement of the rest of his family.

 “Renesmee did you hear that?” Bella scooped up her own little girl that evening when they were all sitting together in the living room. “We found out what your little cousins are going to be today”. She clapped her hands with childlike enthusiasm and jumped down from her mother’s lap and ran over to the couch where Alice and Rose were sitting.

Emmett swung her up into his arms seeing the noticeable lack of Rosalie’s lap, “So munchkin, your Aunt Rose and I are going to have a little boy”. She kissed him on the cheek before bending over Rose’s belly and giving it a kiss as well; “Hi Auntie Rose and Uncle Emmett’s baby”. She repeated the same thing with Alice and Esme before yawning widely. Edward scooped her up and left with Bella to put her down for the night in the cottage.

“Bella, what’s wrong?” Edward asked that night as he held her against him still shivering with the aftershocks of their lovemaking. “You never let down your shield anymore but I can tell you’re hurting, especially after we do this”, he ran his fingertips along the length of her spine.

Bella sighed and shifted so that she was facing him, the ends of her hair trailing his collarbone. “You know I love you and Renesmee more than life itself, no immortal pun intended. And I will never ever regret my decision to become a vampire. But now that Rose and Alice and Esme were able to become pregnant, a tiny part of me holds the foolish hope that each time you and I are together that we’ve somehow created a baby”. “That’s not stupid Bella, and nothing would make me happier than having another baby, except the promise of a long life with you watching our beautiful daughter grow up. And I have that; we have that blessing in our lives”. She kissed him back with answering fervor; “I know”. She smiled serenely “and I wouldn’t have it any other way”.

 Oooh, the plot thickens...again! When will the Volturi return - or will they wait to save the mothers and just destroy the Cullen clan? P.S Baby names? suggestions?? Let me know what you think!!

And the next chapter only goes out once this chapter gets 6 comments!! SO COMMENT, I;m not too proud to beg!!! Yours as ever, TLH