Chapter 18: But Not to Volterra?

Carlisle slowed the slate coloured Lamborghini to below 180 miles per hour. He glanced down at the mangled steering wheel that he had crushed into an unrecognizable shape and sighed. Perhaps he would see if Jake could fix it. The tires as well after what he’d done to them in the last several hours. He had never fought with Esme like this before – his chest tightened as he remembered the hurt angry tears she’d shed because of him, the hurt he caused her.

As he’d reluctantly stopped at one of the rare red lights on the country roads he’d seen an expectant couple walking along the roadside. The husband kept a protective arm around the woman’s thickened waist as they stepped in time, laughing and chatting easily together.

God, how he missed her – already his heart ached at the painful separation knowing she was hurting and he wasn’t there. She just didn’t get it, how important it was to him to get her through this safely. If anything, anything were ever to happen to her he couldn’t live with himself for not protecting her.

It scared the hell out of him every second of every day knowing that there were so many things that could go wrong with her and the pregnancy. It wasn’t that he didn’t love her anymore, but he had been so preoccupied with research about the condition he hadn’t been as attentive to her emotional state. Dammit, she was right – he had been an arrogant prick.

He ached to hold her in his arms again. He wrenched the steering sharply to the left and tires squealing headed for home, to his heaven, his Esme.  As he made the U-turn back to the house, his phone vibrated against his hip. His bloodless body froze – no one would have called him now in case it was an emergency, Edward would have warned them.

His agile surgeon’s fingers failed him miserably as he groped for his phone with clumsy stiff hands. No sooner than he had put the phone to his ear, Jasper’s agitated voice exploded from the earpiece. “Carlisle, Carlisle – are you there? Listen; get back to the house now, everyone’s packing. Esme is gone.

Shaking with a mixture of fear and fury, his hand crushed the cell phone he held in his hand. He cursed angrily, desperately and pressed the gas pedal even further to the floor in his haste to get home now that he had foolishly obliterated his line of communication.

It had to be the Volturi; Esme would never be so foolish or spiteful as to leave without telling anyone, no matter how angry she was with him. And her leaving after having been so upset earlier was terribly dangerous as well.

 Her blood pressure would have risen considerably and coupled with the muscle twinges she’d been having, he’d hoped she would have calmed down enough to rest before he returned. Now he merely hoped that she was alive.

He tore into the garage’s driveway, braking from over 100 mph to a standstill and ripped the seatbelt out in his haste to get inside. Emmett and Edward met him at the door, grey faced.  “Come on, Alice just had a vision, but she collapsed and started having mild pains so Jasper’s with her now and has her lying down resting.”

 Before Edward could finish Carlisle had torn up the stairs into the bedroom. He couldn’t think straight, all he could see was Esme’s brilliant smile as she pressed his hand against her stomach to feel the baby kick for the first time. He had to save her, he had to get her back – his mind raced feverishly as he blindly barreled towards Alice and Jasper’s bedroom. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello my gorgeous discerning readers, fans & friends :) What did you think? Next chapter doesn't go up until I get 6 comments - its blackmail I know but I hope ya love me anyway <3

Soooo comment awaay! Tell me what you love, what you hate, what you want to see happen b/c good or bad these comments keep me going! As ever, TLH xoxo