The Chariot - Chapter 2

Chapter 2- Notiving what I already had

The next few weeks of January saw an icy frost settle over the grounds. It was bitterly cold and as usual it had decided to snow after Christmas. The highly organised individuals of the sixth year were carefully working their way through their course work. Harry for the first time in his life gave his homework the full attention that he knew he ought to give, for personal reasons unbeknownst to Ron and Hermione. Ron had been surprised by his enthusiastic display and bemoaned it.

Hermione gave him an exasperated look.

' I'm going to make a plan for you in that homework diary that YOU still haven't used!' she reprimanded him. 'It'll be easier for you. Trust me.'

Ron groaned, ' why bother Herm? You know I'll never stick to it.'

Hermione shook her head,' well will you try?'

' Do I have an incentive?' Ron sidled his arm around her waist and nuzzled her neck. Hermione blushed.

' Well you'll just have to wait and see!' she said pushing Ron away playfully.

'Seriously', she carried on. ' This year is almost as important as next year. We're going to get the bulk of the course work done this term and we had better do well in them. It could have a serious affect on our finals, I'm telling you Ron,' she said purposely.

Ron planted a loud kiss upon her lips, 'O-K', he said. 'I get it.'

Hermione closed her mouth and tried not to smile, giving Ron a critical glance.

Harry stretched out his arms and got up off his chair. They had been sitting in the Gryffindor common room for a while now and it was nearing dinnertime. He needed any excuse to get away from writing yet another essay. He was getting finger cramp.

They made their way down the marble staircase and into the Great Hall. Out of the corner of Harry's eye, he saw Malfoy walk in and take a seat in the middle of the long table. Crabbe and Goyle sat down on either side of him. Harry watched as Zabini whispered something into Crabbe's ear, which made his face split open into a wide grin. He got up and swapped seats with her so she was sitting next to Malfoy. The blonde-haired Slytherin looked neither pleased nor displeased with the seating arrangements, and started to load up his plate. It was pretty obvious that Zabini was trying to get his attention. Harry looked away and sat down. He hated how he always seemed to notice such irrelevant things about Malfoy. Like he cared what was going on with him anyway.

He turned his attention to his food and all thoughts on Malfoy disappeared as quickly as they had appeared.

On the Slytherin table, Draco was eating whilst Blaise was chattering away to him. He wasn't listening, but nonetheless nodded now and again as if he were. He had seen Potter look towards him and even from this distance he could feel his piercing gaze. It was bizarre really. Ever since that ridiculous Divination assignment, Potter had been in his thoughts more than usual. Not because he was spending all that time hating him and thinking up horrid ways to humiliate and insult him. No- it was stupid things like noticing objects that were the exact shade of Potter's eyes. A cover of a book. His Slytherin scarf, the green in his tie. He could see green everywhere. The colour of sparkling emeralds. He chewed and swallowed his food and glanced at a tray stacked with vegetables. Broccoli had that same colour. Leaves that were wet and shiny after a rainfall, shared the same green. At the most strangest times, the Gryffindor's face would swim before his eyes and he was certain that somehow that day, Potter must have cursed him. He must have hexed him or something. Everyone knew Potter was a powerful wizard, who knew what he was capable of. Bastard.