The Chariot - Chapter 8

Chapter Eight - The Moments of Happiness

Over the next two weeks, Draco found himself steeling away any chance he could with Harry. It was insane, it was more than insane - it was lunacy.

One morning after a particularly knee trembling kiss, he had gone into the Great Hall for breakfast. Harry had just looked at him and grinned. It was such a sincere and beautiful smile that Draco lost his breath. He hadn't been able to resist the urge to smile back. Harry's grins were contagious. And the more and more they looked at each other the wider their smiles got, till Draco laughed softly and coughed into his bowl of fruit. He smothered his grin from his fellow Slytherin's. He should be more careful, and grinning like that? It was so unlike him. Laughing at someone else's expense yes…..but grinning for the sake of grinning? No.

Of course with the exams coming up, he managed to sneak off with Harry under the ruse of studying. Harry did the same. Draco just couldn't get enough of Harry. It was madness. Kissing. His whole day was consumed about thoughts of kissing or kissing in the act itself. If anyone had told him a few weeks ago that this would be happening, he would have hexed them into oblivion. But here he was….kissing.

Harry Potter.

It was as If he wanted to weld himself to those luscious lips and in those arms forever. The strange part was that it wasn't just about frantically groping for Harry every time he saw him. Often than not, Harry would just simply put his arms around Draco and hold him gently, before moving his lips to Draco's.

It was simple acts of affection like that that left Draco reeling. He was not used to this kind of emotional intimacy and wasn't quite sure what to make of it. Harry had told him that he cared for him and that had made Draco feel strangely wonderful but he couldn't utter such words back to Harry. It would be wrong to say such things out aloud, let alone feel them. He desperately tried to maintain some kind of distance and balance. but rapidly could feel himself slipping. It was so difficult at times to remain aloof when Harry was so forthcoming with his affection.

They had been in the library one time, tucked away hidden in a corner. Draco had got some books out and sat down for a few moments with Harry, who was reading. Harry had reached over and absentmindedly grasped Draco's hand in his. His thumb gently running over Draco's fingers as his other hand turned the pages of the textbook. Draco stared at their hands entwined, wordlessly. Harry wasn't even aware he was doing it and it was just small touches like that, which made warm shots pass through his body.

His feelings were out of kilter, and he tried to keep them in check, but as it happened, he could feel his emotions spilling out of control, and that made him uncomfortable. He had never felt jealously in all his life but he was feeling the full extent of it now. He hated it when Ginny talked to Harry, when Luna-tic talked to Harry. Ron and Hermione made him wretch something awful. That stupid Colin Creevy hovering around Harry. The amount of time Harry spent with all those other Gryffindor's.

He couldn't stand anyone looking at Harry let alone touching him. He wanted to snarl and growl and rip them apart. It was so primitive and scary, and Draco was supposed to be the cool one; he had never been like this about anybody.

He wanted to claim Harry as his. Mine. All mine.

He knew it was completely irrational but he didn't want Harry to care about anybody but him, didn't want him spending time with anyone else but him. Draco.

That was impossible obviously and Draco would never dream of telling Harry how he felt. It scared him to realise the intensity of his emotions, but as long as he kept them to himself, it was all right.

They often met in a disused staff room on the sixth floor that Draco had stumbled across accidentally. It was a warm and cosy room and it became a safe haven for the boys.