study // yuki sohma

The end of the term meant final exams were just around the corner, and everyone was stressed out of their minds. "Ughh!" I groaned at the packets of paper stacked up on my desk. No matter how much I underlined or highlighted, the information didn't stick! I had even failed the practice quizzes.

The school day ended and the other students were seen in groups, probably going to study. Rolling my eyes, I swung my backpack over my shoulder and decided I'd try the library. 'Something in there has the answers.' I thought to myself.

This library was the biggest and oldest in town. If you needed anything, you came here. Now, we have the internet so people don't come around very often. But they should. I always felt more comfortable sitting at one of the tables, chilling out with a book.

I headed to the science section, that's the subject I've been having the hardest time with. I scanned the shelves for a few minutes when my eyes caught sight of a book solely for chemistry. My eyes lit up, and a smile tugged at the corners of my lips. So I reached up to pull the book from the shelf, but it wouldn't budge. I pulled it out to see another boy had tried to grab it. It was Yuki Sohma, the prince of my school. "Oh my! I'm so, so sorry. Please, take the book." I said as I stepped away from the shelf. "No, no. You take it, I insist." He said back. He backed away from the shelf too, shaking his hands in a nervous manner.

I giggled a bit before grabbing the book off the shelf and walking around to his side. "Why don't we study it together?" I handed him the book, and he looked a little surprised but agreed anyway. He chose a table and pulled my chair out for me. I sat down with a smile and then he sat down too. "So, where should we start?" I asked. He went on about what he already covered and what he still didn't understand. He asked many questions on the way but I thought it was sweet.

"I don't believe I've introduced myself yet. I'm Yuki Sohma." He held out his hand for me to shake. I took it, "I'm Y/N L/N. Though there was no need to introduce yourself, I know who you are already." He looked even more confused than earlier. He scanned my face repeatedly, probably trying to remember who I am, or how I know him. "We go to school together. I'm in the same year as you." His face went pale. He seemed so embarrassed that he didn't recognize me. I chuckled at him.

"I'm so sorry, I never forget a face... but I just can't seem to remember you." He rubbed the back of his neck with an awkward smile. "It's alright, really. I didn't expect you to know who I am. I've never had a class with you." I shrugged it off like I always did. It wasn't a big deal to me. He's the prince and I'm just another girl he passes in the halls. I flipped the book back open and started jotting down notes and stuff. An awkward silence filled the air, the people around us were still quietly chatting while we just sat there.

"Miss L/N?" I hummed in response to him. "Are you free again tomorrow? To study, I mean." Now it was my turn to be shocked. Was he serious? Was this invitation just his way of making up for the fact he doesn't know who I am? I stared at him for what felt like minutes and then spoke up, "Yeah, I'm free tomorrow." He smiled gently at me and packed the books into his backpack. "Alright then. Meet me at the gates after school and we can walk here together, okay?" I nodded and packed up my things as well. 

The next day, it was just as he said. He waited, we walked, we studied. This went on for weeks as we both prepared for finals. Some days we wouldn't even study, we'd just sit and talk. I got to learn a lot about him and I think he enjoyed getting to know me. We went out for lunch, hung out at the park, and I went to his house a few times. I'd consider him a close friend of mine. I was adopted into his little friend group and we seemed to always be together. This, of course, got me unwanted attention from the "Prince Yuki Fan-Club". I often had Motoko Minagawa, the president, tell me that I wasn't permitted to talk to Yuki anymore. That didn't stop me though. And when I blatantly ignored her, she just gave up and continued to complain about it to all her little minions. 

The day came for the actual exam. I was much calmer than I would've normally been, and I think that's because I had Yuki's help this whole time. I met up with Yuki before school to tell him good luck, and he said the same to me. Something about his reassuring smile made every worry disappear. 

I took every test and after I felt good about it. I felt confident that I wouldn't have to retake an exam again this year. Some students in the class were freaking out about it, they were scared and anxious, and for once in my whole schooling life, I wasn't.

I met up with Yuki after school, I wanted to know how he felt about everything. "Yuki!" I called out to him. He turned and looked at me with a smile, "Y/N. Good to see you. How was your exam?" Catching my breath from running up to him, I answered, "I think it went pretty great! All thanks to you though." He chuckled and shook his head, "I don't deserve all the credit, you took the exam all by yourself, I had nothing to do with it." I shook my head at this, "What? I was awful at studying before you, I couldn't focus on anything." 

He looked down at his shoes and laughed a bit more. "Well, I hope we can continue to hang out." His voice was quieter than normal, but I understood just fine. "Of course! You can't get rid of me that easy." He looked up in a panic and started shaking his hands, "N-no! I never meant that I wanted to get rid of you, I just-" I cut him off with a laugh. He looked so confused and so tired. "I was just kidding." He sighed in relief. 

"Would you like to come over for dinner? Miss Honda will be making lots of food to celebrate the end of finals." 

"I would love to."

END