overprotective // hatsuharu sohma (1)

"THAT CHILD IS A MONSTER!" Mother screeched.

"THIRTEEN YEARS I WASTE ON YOU AND THIS IS HOW YOU REPAY ME?!" The insults continued.

"YOU STUPID BRAT!" Father yelled as he dragged me outside by my hair.

"DAD STOP! OUCH!" I whined and whined, but it didn't stop.

He slid open the door and took me out into the pouring rain, walking away and slamming the door closed once again.

The tears that were streaming down my face blended with the cold rain that fell in thick drops.

'There's nowhere I can go... nobody I can turn to...'

With the destructive thoughts swirling around in my head, I made my way to the end of our driveway. 

'To the gates... I guess.'

Leaving the estate seemed to take a lot longer than usual. I was soaked, tired, in pain, and feeling very lost and alone. 

Taking small steps as I walked along the sidewalk, I noticed a collection of rocks sitting underneath a tree. I went over and crouched down on the flat stone. My body trembled as a sudden wind blew along with the rain.

I rubbed my arms, trying to conserve body heat, feeling the goosebumps that trailed along them. 

The sound of soft footsteps caught my attention as I lifted my head to where the sound was coming from. 

In front of me was a boy holding an umbrella. He looked around my age with fluffy white hair and soft brown eyes. A look of concern flashed on his face.

I let out a small sniffle as I wiped more of my tears. 

"U-Uhm... hello?" I questioned. He titled his head a bit and then cleared his throat, "Hey."

Then, the most unexpected thing happened. He held his hand out to me. 

"It's cold, let's get out of the rain." He was so calm, and that made me feel safe. I gladly accepted his hand, and we walked out of the estate together. 

"I'll take you to Sensei's house." He said once we crossed the street. 

"Thank you..."

"Hatsuharu. But, you can call me Haru."

"Alright, thank you, Haru." I mustered a small smile and then he spoke, "And you are?"

"I'm Y/N."

He nodded, "So, Y/N, why were you sitting out in the rain?"

I took a deep breath and explained my whole situation to him. How my parents cast me out because of my behavior and I wanted to leave the estate to not be a bother to them. 

When I finished, he sighed, and he looked at me with remorse. "I'm really sorry that happened, it must be hard." 

"It's alright, I'll get over it." I shrugged, and we kept walking.

Minutes later, we approached a forest entrance, "Sensei's house is just up these stairs." 

~~~~~

KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK!

A man dressed in a green kimono opened the door. He looked surprised to see us at the door, "Haru? Why are you here?"

"It's raining, I'll explain everything once you let us in." Haru sounded stern, but it was pretty unnoticeable due to how calm he looked. 

"Yes, of course, get inside." 

Once inside, we took off our shoes and Haru leaned the umbrella against the wall. We were shown to the living room where I was given a blanket and a cup of tea. 

"Y/N, you poor thing..." The man, who I learned was Shigure, spoke, "...Haru, did you say she was trying to leave the estate?" 

Haru walked in with some plates in hand and nodded as he took a seat next to me.

"Wait- so you're a Sohma?" 

I set my cup down on the table and pulled the blanket up to my shoulders, "No, I'm not. That house was my great grandmother's, but then she died, so my family took it over."

"Oh, alrighty then. I can't believe Akito let a non-Sohma live in the estate!"

"Well, it took a lot of convincing, but in the end, she agreed since the Sohma name is on my mother's side. She said the name would die with my mom and then we'd have to leave." I let out a nervous chuckle and Shigure's face dropped.

"I can't believe..." Shigure mumbled as he pinched the bridge of his nose. 

I looked down and took a bite of rice, and then someone came down the stairs. 

A boy with white hair wearing a simple button-up shirt and some blue jeans. His eyes were immediately drawn to me and I seemed to catch his attention, "Oh, I didn't know we had company." He said in a small voice. He came over and took a seat next to Shigure.

"This is Y/N, Haru brought her over." Shigure said as he took a sip of his tea. 

The boy nodded and bowed his head to me, "Well, it's a pleasure to meet you Y/N. I'm Yuki."

I bowed back and the four of us talked into the evening. 

When I looked outside, the sky was painted a deep purple with shades of orange and pink barely peeking out from the horizon. I let a sigh escape my lips as I pushed my cup to the center of the table. Rising to my feet, I carefully took to the blanket from my shoulders. 

"Thank you for your hospitality, but I must get going now." I handed the blanket to Haru and bowed to Shigure and Yuki, "I'm eternally grateful." 

Haru stood too, "Where are you going?" 

I looked around before fiddling with my fingers, "I don't really know yet, but I'm sure I'll figure something out." I nervously chuckled before heading towards the front door. 

I was suddenly pulled back and met face to face with Haru. His hand gently grabbed my wrist, but still had enough force to get my attention. 

"Stay here." Shigure stated as he folded his arms into his kimono. 

"Oh no, I couldn't possibly. You've already done so much, and I wouldn't want to be a bother-" 

"Miss Y/N, it never hurts to help someone."

Yuki looked at me with sweet eyes along with Shigure. I turned back to Haru and saw a sort of pleading in his expression, something about that made me want to stay.

"We have a spare room with your name on it!" Shigure smiled, placing an arm around me.

Tears welled in my eyes before calmly rolling down my face. The three were taken aback, and all wore worried faces.

"No, no! It's okay, these are happy tears!" I shooed their worries away and used my fingers to dry my eyes. 

Haru crossed his arms with a content smile and the room filled with a loving energy. Something more wonderful than anything I've ever felt before. 

"I guess you could call this place home."

PART ONE - THE END