#12

Essence

Essence

"Okay, I'm done in the shower," Bri emerged, drying her hair with a towel, just as a knock sounded at the door.

I stood up slowly; my knee felt much better. There was a small pain, but nothing I couldn't handle.

"What the fu-"

"Essence Roslyn, do you know how worried we were to hear from Killian that you were here the whole time?" Easton yelled as all four of the boys walked into the place. "Bri was just about to drive me home, and I would have texted you guys, but my phone was dead," I shrugged before sliding my shoes on.

"We'll take her home," Neil said before grabbing my arm. "No, no, no, Nelly, I called dibs," Bri snatched me back.

"You can both take me; just decide whose car," I shrugged. They both looked at each other before Neil looked back at Zail.

"Mine," Zail and Bri said in unison. I looked at her. "You have your own car?" I asked.

She looked at me sweetly. "Well, it's not mine, but Ian will let me use it," she said, smiling.

I did not want any more run-ins with him. "Yeah, we'll take Zail's," I laughed before walking out the door, and they all followed behind. "But someone has to sit on someone's lap," he yelled.

"I'll lay on everyone in the back," Bri said, causing two to groan. I knew I would be in the back as well, but I didn't mind.

"Hey, my car's still here," I remembered. I started to walk towards it before getting lifted off the ground. "Hey, my car!" I yelled.

I saw Jacob's back as I was over his shoulder. "You're hanging with us; end of story. I'll bring your car to yours later," he put me down in Zail's car. "Give me the keys," he said, getting in the front seat by Zail. I took the keys out of my pocket, handing them to him. "If I don't see my car in my driveway by tonight, I'm ripping your nut sack off."

"Jesus," he mumbled. I sat on the right side of the back seat, with Neil and Easton beside me. Bri's head was on my lap as I played with her hair. She turned to look at me.

"Yaknow, Ess, I think my brother fancies you," she said out of the blue. I looked at her with no emotion.

"I've talked to the guy, like, three times," I shrugged before looking out of the window. "What do you think, Nelly?" she asked. Neil's hand was on her feet as he was on the left side.

"He seems to have a soft spot, but who knows," he laughed before Easton chimed in. "I, for one, think we all have a soft spot for her," he patted my head before I hit his hand off.

"Can we get food?" Bri sighed.

Zail nodded before turning into a restaurant.

"Omg, yes!" Easton yelled before shoving Bri off his lap and running inside. "Mae, get back here; you almost killed me," she ran after him.

"Mae?" I asked the leftover boys. "His middle name," they laughed. We walked in, sliding into a booth. "I'll get the food," Easton said.

"Hell no, Mae, I don't trust you with my food," she said, going after him again. "I'll make sure they don't kill each other," Neil stood up and followed after.

I sighed, looking over to Jacob to see his pink-tinted cheeks as he stared at his phone, typing away. I looked at Zail to see him uninterested and looking at me. He shrugged.

I slid closer to him, looking over to see his phone. I know it's an invasion of privacy, but we were friends, right?

'So maybe we can hang out, idk...'

Once I saw those words on the screen, I looked at the name to see Harry as the contact.

I squealed, causing them both to look at me. "Awh, Jacob," I pinched his reddened cheeks.

"So when's the date?" his face became regular again. "It's not a date; we're just hanging out," he turned off his phone, sliding it into his pocket. "What do you mean hanging out? You both obviously like each other. How long have you guys texted for?" I asked.

"Ever since the day we switched numbers," he shrugged. I looked at him like he was crazy. "Bro, go for it!" I screamed.

"Go for what?" Bri slid in the booth with a tray full of food. "The boys are coming with y'all's food in a sec," she smiled and started eating. "Anyway, go for what?"

Zail looked amused. "Jake's got a crush, and she's tryna make it happen," he laughed, teasing the poor boy. "Jakey, who is it?" she said with food in her mouth. "Anna, close your mouth," he said.

I guess I was the only one who called her Bri; they all called her Anna for Brianna.

"Left us to carry all the food, Anna; some friend you are," the two boys came in.

"Hun, you're my brother's friend; I just stan you for my bestie and my brother," she smiled sweetly.

"Awh, Anna, you know you love us," Easton sat beside her before linking his arm around her shoulder.

"Let me eat in peace," she sighed.

After that, I got dropped back and spent the rest of the day sleeping in my bed. Oh, how I've missed this bed. Remembering I have work tomorrow, I stuff my face into my pillow.

I'm just going to sleep until then. A whole day of sleeping sounds wonderful.

Where's the matching fruit?

'Match.' Yes, finally! Who knew this game was so hard, damn.

"Hey," a sweet voice interrupted my game. I looked up to see a familiar blonde face.

My eyes widened. "Oh, hey," I smiled awkwardly.

"So, uh, I just wanted to say thank you. I don't know if you remember me, but you helped me get home—well, you and another person, anyway. I just came to tell you I appreciate it," she said.

I looked at her for a moment before replying, "Oh, hey, don't worry. I would have wanted someone to do the same. Trust me; I know how it can be." She looked my way sadly.

"I'm Ruri," she offered her hand. "Oh, I know— I mean, hi, I'm Essence," I shook her hand.

"You seem really nice, which is hard to find these days. Could you, by any chance, tell the other person thank you as well? My sister said he carried me inside."

"Oh, of course. I'll let him know," I nodded.

"Well, um, thanks again," she was about to leave before I stopped her.

"I don't mean to be rude, and you don't have to tell me, but are you okay?" I asked sincerely
"I mean you told me about your ex and stuff and I just wanted to know if you're doing ok"

She looked hesitant "he wasn't that great anyway" she laughed covering her pain  "I know how that can be" she sat down in the stool in-front of me.

"Seems like we have something in common" I laughed along with her "guess that makes us soulmates" I joke to lighten the dim mood.

"We should just marry right now" she chuckles under her breath.

We sat there talking for what felt like hours before my shift ended "oh it's past my shift" I laughed as she looks at the time, her eyes widening "oh shit I have to get back."

Her eyes filled with worry a look i knew all to well "I'm sorry for keeping you" she smiled

"Oh don't worry here's my number if you ever wanna talk again" I handed her a napkin with my number on it hoping that we could confuse our conversation some time.

She looked at me and smiled folding it perfectly and placing it into her pocket"I'll call you sometime" she said before walking off

"Bye my soulmate" she says waving

"Goodbye wife" I yell.