Back to reality

Grunting, Lance falls onto something surprisingly warm. He hears an indignant squeak and then he's being pushed backwards. Struggling against the heavy weight of his lids, Lance opens his eyes. It takes a second for his brain to register anything other than too bright.

Pidge is standing in front of him dragging her hand across her shoulders as if she could brush off where Lance had touched her.

Gasping, Lance pushes his hand against the side of his head. "How long was I-"

"Two weeks."

"Woah that's-"

"Longer than usual, yes. You managed to top your last list of injuries, an honestly impressive feat."

Lance looks down to where his side is still wrapped in bandages that have an old rusty coat of red leaking through, the way tarnish might appear on a forgotten bicycle. "I don't doubt it."

Scoffing, Pidge types something onto the medical base next to the pod. "You know that's not actually the goal right?"

Lance waves her off. "Yeah I get it. Less time in pods, so you don't have to miss out on my glorious presence."

"Yeah, glorious that's how I'd describe it."

Leaning down, Lance rests his forearm on Pidge's shoulder, using his wrist to wave around as he speaks. "Hey don't pretend like you didn't miss me." Grabbing his arm Pidge removes it from her shoulders and drops it between them. She turns away from him, but there's a smile on her lips.

"I'm gonna call the rest of the team. They'll want to know you're awake and then we can rebandage you."

She leaves and Lance's eyes wonder the room as he hums to some unknown tune.

* * *

"Lance!" Hunk screams running into the room, arms already outstretched.

Lance laughs stepping into his hug.

Wrapping his arms around him, Hunk squeezes Lance's waist as tightly as a hungry anaconda would wrap around its dinner. Lance squeakes, "Hey watch the merchandise, I'm limited edition."

Hunk hurriedly puts Lance back on the floor, stepping away. "Sorry. I'm just really glad you're okay."

"Yeah, I bet life without me gets boring real fast." 

* * *

"So, where's Keith?" Lance turns, looking over Shiro's shoulder to the open doorway.

"Oh," Shiro rubs the back of his neck. "He's sleeping. He hasn't been sleeping very well lately, so it's probably best not to wake him for a while."

Lance nods and tries to pretend he isn't disappointed.

Walking forward, Lance struggles to wrap his arms around both Hunk and Pidge's shoulder. Pidge shrugs his arm off before Lance has to try to figure out how to walk with the awkward height lean.

"To the kitchen!" Lance shouts theatrically, pointing to the door. "I'm starving, turns out even food goo sounds appealing after not eating for two weeks."

* * *

"I'm uh...," Lance clears his throat, placing his bowl in the sink where it clatters against a small pile of dishes, "I'm gonna see if Keith's awake. He probably wants to know if I'm okay or not. He was the one who brought me here."

Before anyone can reply Lance turns wandering out the door and down the castle's elaborate hallways, trying to pretend that the silence isn't creeping up on him the way shadows slowly climb up walls.