Keith is not a morning person

"Soooo," Lance drawls, "did I miss anything interesting? I know I'm the most interesting thing here, but something else must have happened while I was gone."

Hunk slides into the seat next to him plopping a bowl of food goo on the table, before resting his elbows on the surface. "No, not really. Not unless you count Pidge kidnapping another random alien robot she found?"

Lance tries not to show his disappointment. Why was Keith being so weird?

"Everything's the same as normal then, while as normal as life can be without me." Lance jokes, but it's obvious that his mind is elsewhere.

"Lance," Shiro calls from the other end of the table.

Hmmm, Lance hums in acknowledgement, but he doesn't turn his head away from his bowl.

"How's your recovery?"

"Good. Allura says that there's no permanent damage other than the cool scar." Lance smiles, tilted lips reminiscent of a smirk, "I've always wanted a badass battle scar."

"Yay," Keith says, tone dark and bitter like a cup of cold coffee, "nothing worth celebrating quite like injuries."

Lance turns to glare at Keith. Seriously, what is his deal?

Sighing, Lance decides to bite the bullet. "What's your problem?"

Keith stares at his spoon dragging out patterns through the goo. "Nothing, I don't have one."

"Clearly you do. You've been nothing but angry since I woke up." Lance waves his arms around him in frustration. "So just tell me what your problem is."

"Okay fine." Keith lowers his spoon where it clatters on the edge of his bowl. Lifting his gaze to Lance's, his expression hardness, eyebrow furring, lips tightening. "You really want to know why I'm angry?"

Lance scoffs, rolling his eyes. "Yeah. That's why I asked."

Pushing his chair out where it drags squeaking along the floor, Keith slams his palms on the table. "It's you and your dumb decisions."

"Wow. Thank you for being honest Keith. Really appreciate it."

Sighing, Keith rests his weight on his palms. "You're the one who asked me to be."

Lance stands kicking his chair behind him. "Oh it is on."

Reaching across the table, Lance tries to grab at Keith.

"Lance. Keith. Stop!" Shiro screams.

Reluctantly, Lance pulls his arms back to his side.

When shiro pulls out his chair to sit back down. Lance lunges across the table trying to bat at Keith the way a cat flaps in someone's arms.

"Enough." Shiro stands walking towards Lance, who quickly deflates flopping back onto his chair with an exaggerated huff.

  * * *

Lance sighs dramatically falling onto the couch, legs landing sideways on top of Hunk's. Hunk doesn't respond, continuing to type. Peeking through his fingertips, Lance huffs louder.

Resting his hands on the weird alien technology, Lance doesn't even try to pretend to understand, Hunk turns to face Lance.

"Finally."

Pushing the device across the table, hunk turns to face Lance. "What's bothering you?"

"Keith."

Hunk rolls his eyes. "Should've known. What happened this time?"

Pouting, Lance lets his arm fall off the side of the couch, but he doesn't respond.

In a softer tone, worry slipping through his voice, the way it always does with Hunk he rubs his hand along Lance's calves, slow and comforting. "Why were you guys fighting this morning?"

Lance sighs. "It's just Keith, he's being an asshole."

"Okay," Hunk says, prompting Lance to continue.

"I know it's like an integral part of his personality to be all rough and stoic, the loner with the depressing backstory who doesn't let himself have feelings," Lance deflates like a popped balloon leaking helium, head dragging down the arm rest of the couch. "but he's not normally mean on purpose."

Readjusting Lance's legs, Hunk turns so that he can face Lance directly. "Well, what happened?"

"He yelled at me, basically saying that I was a stupid fucking idiot that couldn't be trusted to make my own decisions." Lance waves his hands around wide and frantic enough to almost hit himself in the face.

"Can you believe that? I almost died and here he is being unnecessarily mean." Lance crosses his arms pouting like a four year old told they can't have their favourite candy.

"I'm sure it's just a misunderstanding. You'll figure it out just like you always do." Patting Lance's calf, Hunk's voice is warm and reassuring.

"You don't understand," Lance slumps backwards the weight his anger brought him falling from his limbs. His arm dangles off the side of the couch and the real pain shows in his eyes, "it's like he doesn't even care about me. I know we're not the closest I just thought that maybe...," Lance sighs long and slow, "he would be glad to see me is all."

Planting Lance's legs to the floor, Hunk wraps his arms around Lance's waist pulling him into his side. "Lance, he does care about you. I mean he was pretty upset when you were in the pod. Shiro had to drag him away to get sleep a couple of times. He was really worried about you."

Throwing his hands in the air, Lance lets his frustration carry into his voice. "If he was so worried about me why is he being such an asshole?" 

Hunk shrugs and there's a still uncertainty it carries through the air. "I don't know. I think that's something you have to ask him yourself."

Picking at the breaking skin around his fingertips, Lance can't help but feel powerless. "That's the thing he won't talk to me."

Hunk sighs. "You should still try, Keith can be pretty stubborn. It might take some time, but that doesn't mean you should stop trying."