Burden of guilt

By tarushiv

How could I do this? I shouldn't have done this to her. She's your best friend, God damm it! How could you stoop so low Shravan Malhotra? Zara sa bhi control nhi h khud pe. What would she be thinking about you now. He thought while laying down on his bed. His mind was rambling about the happenings of the night of Preeti Bhoj. Since then he couldn't gather the courage to talk to her. He gave her a cold shoulder, whenever she tried to contact him. He felt he might lose her forever just because he couldn't control his splurge of testosterone.

He wasn't a lanky teenager anymore, he was a fully grown man but still couldn't control himself when he saw her that night. He thought the moment she confronts him about that night she'd break all her relationship with him. And this time he would be at fault. He felt guilty for what he did, he didn't have any explanation for that. He just wanted her to accept his friendship and they would start afresh once again.  

He had asked her to pay his fees. She was so nervous since the morning when he texted her to meet him on the rooftop at 10 pm. On top of that Preeta and rest of PCT staff filled her mind with all sorts of things that he could ask for, but a small part of hers also wanted him to ask her for one of the things that Preeta hinted to her.

She was cooking kheer in the kitchen when the Malhotra clan arrived. His eyes searched for her as the rest of the Tiwari clan welcomed them. Mamiji told him about her whereabouts. He silently headed towards the kitchen. She was crushing dry fruits and was humming a song. It felt like music to his ears. She was wearing a pastel blue anarkali which made her skin look more radiant. She wasn't someone who would put on makeup. Minimalism was her style. Nothing but just khol and a bit of tinted lip gloss. 

She felt someone's presence in the room and saw him. He wore a blue blazer, black Tee, jeans and loafers. He took a few steps towards her and there she was cornered between the counter and him. He placed his hands on the counter blocking her from moving away. He bent his head down toward her. His eyes flickered between her lips and her eyes. She closed her eyes in anticipation of what was coming next. She thought he would kiss her, she was anxious but at the same time she would be happy if he did this. She opened her eyes instantly when instead of his lips touching hers, she heard him saying something in her ear which she could not comprehend as all her senses were busy fantasizing about a certain someone. He moved away from her with a smirk on his face and a glint of mischief in his eyes. She so wished to hear what he said. 

Both the families had their dinner together and now all were sitting in the verandah of the Tiwari Killa. Preeti and Daboo planned to play a game of Pictionary. The clock was about to strike 10. Shravan made an excuse and climbed up the stairs, but before going he gestured her to come upstairs with his eyebrow. She shook her head in disagreement, he made a stern face and narrowed his eyes as if saying don't you dare to not come and then he left. Mamaji asked her to bring the mangoes, she obliged and brought the vessels with the help of mamiji. 

The game had already begun. And she was looking at the clock. It was 10.05. She received a message from him.

"Main tumhara wait kar raha hu, aur chand bhi. 2 minute main nahi aai toh utha ke leke jaunga, voh bhi sabke saame."

She read the message, took two mangoes with her and told mamiji that she would give one to him and then she moved upstairs. 

He was standing near the railing, looking up in the sky towards the stars and when he heard her footsteps, without turning he said, "Tum late ho", in a sweet voice. She stood there. Holding a mango and her phone in her left hand and was sucking a mango.