56%

| l u k e |

            | 12:01pm – Tuesday |

A knock on the front door woke me up from my sleep. I grunted and groggily made my way downstairs. No one normally rings the house this early, unless of course, it’s that police officer again.

I wiped my eyes with my fingers and clumsily unlocked the door.

It wasn’t the police officer.

It was Detective Nichols himself, looking as suave as ever in his faux leather suit and purple tie. And two more guys in cheaper suits behind him. “Good morning. I’m sure you were informed over the news and through a letter that we’ve been granted the permission to ask you a couple of questions regarding the crime in Riverside?”

I’ve never heard so many words in a single question my whole life this early in the morning. I peeked at the mailbox out front and realized I haven’t checked it yet. Thank god there weren’t any babies in jars lying around the house.

I cocked a brow, yawned, then stepped out of the way so they could enter the house. Their eyes immediately began circling around the area, probably searching for an evidence of some sort.

“You guys want coffee or something?” I casually asked, already stepping into the kitchen.

“No, thanks,” Nichols said warily.

I snorted and poured some coffee in a black mug. I pulled a chair out and sat on it and took careful sips from my coffee. “So what’s up?”

Detective Nichols sat across from me and laid out some papers on the table. One of his colleagues laid a tape recorder on the space between us and activated it before Nichols spoke. “You’re a senior, right?”

I nodded and took another sip.

Nichols also nodded. “I’ve seen your schedule. You have a free period from one to two p.m., and on September 24, (Friday,) there was a memorial held in the auditorium for Riverside’s deceased students. You were there, right?”

“No, I didn’t attend the memorial,” I answered.

Nichols leaned forward. “And why’s that?”

“I had an assignment due next period, so I went directly to the computer lab to do my research.”

He cocked his head in—what I suspected to be—amusement. “So you deliberately missed a memorial for an assignment?”

“I didn’t even know those people anyway. They’re the extras in my life—they come and go, I see them in the hallways, but they’re nothing more than that. And I don’t see the point of commemorating them when I don’t even know their middle name,” I answered. I took another sip from my coffee and laid it down on the table with a soft thud.

Nichols was speechless, to say the least. “Where were you before that? At lunch?”

“At Subway.”

“You come there regularly?”

Often.”

Nichols looked frustrated. “When the fire started, what were you doing then?”

“I was halfway through finishing my assignment when the fire alarm rang. Mr. Echols escorted us out and made us wait outside the school.”

“Where are your parents?” he asked.

“At work.”

“And how did they feel about this?”

“They were glad I didn’t get hurt.”

“And that was it?”

“And they want us to move, because of a serial killer on the loose.”

Nichols scratched his forehead and propped his elbows on the table. “I’ll be speaking to them soon. Thank you for answering our questions, and we’ll contact you when we have more concerns.”

I nodded once and took another sip from my coffee. “Thank you too.” I watched them leave from the doorway with a scowl on my face. They closed the door behind them. “Thank you so fucking much,” I sneered.

a/n:

i havent updated for a month im sorry lmao ahhahahaha we moved and shit and yeah kbye luv u all thanks for the support <33 much luv -angelika