54%

Two weeks later

seven.

| l u k e |

            | 3:01pm – Monday |

It’s been two weeks since our last murder. We’ve fulfilled Calum’s order by laying low for a while, but my thirst for skin and blood was starting to increase. The only form of entertainment that was available in the house was the television and pestering Michael.

I choose to do the second one everyday.

I jogged down the stairs and saw Michael sitting on the kitchen table with his head in his hands. I pulled a seat from under the table and sat down beside him. He then stirred and woke up due to the ruckus I made.

“You okay, mate?” I asked, plastering a forced smile on my face. I don’t really care, but there’s not much to do around here, and Michael’s company probably wouldn’t hurt for a while.

“I’m just scared,” he whispered, looking down at his hands. “I mean, what if we get caught? I didn’t do anything.”

I sighed and grabbed an orange from the basket centrepiece. It had molds all over its skin, and I assumed it’s because it’s been there since we killed Michael’s parents. “Look at this orange, Michael. What do you see?”

Michael sniffed and sat up. “Um, molds?”

I held the fruit closer to him. “What if I told you that its inside was still pure and edible?”

He sniffed the fruit and gave it a disgusted look. “I wouldn’t believe you.”

I nodded. I then walked over to the fridge and took a fresh orange from the drawer. I sat back down and placed the fresh orange beside the expired one. “Look at the fresh one. It looks so tasty, so edible compared to the rotten one, right?”

Michael nodded but gave me a quizzical look.

“What if I told you the fresh orange was rotting inside? What if only the skin is ripe?” I questioned.

Michael shrugged.

“You wouldn’t know until you open it, right?” I pressed.

He cocked his head to the side. “Are you implying that the orange that’s rotten outside could be possibly edible inside, and the fresh orange that looks tasty outside could be possibly rotten inside?

I patted his head and nodded. “Now, think about it, because this,” I picked up the fresh orange and placed it in his hand, “is exactly what you are.”

a/n:

im actually proud of the symbolism behind this bc wow holy shit that was random. I never planned on using an orange as a clue to the next book in the series omg. This was supposed to be a chapter full of muke banter but then i thought of a fucking orange lmao.

But you’ll get this metaphor once the series concludes, (which is very very soon aw)

hooray for a nice and nonprovocative muke conversation yayyyy

Anyway, thanks for the support, ilysm –angelika c: