Chapter 9: Spoopy

The Onceler hurried to work on the design for Alastor's costume. Meanwhile, downstairs, Bill and Alastor had already finished the decorating for the most part. Fake spiderwebs littered the corners of the rooms, vials of mysterious liquid lined some of the shelves, the umbrella stand had been turned into a "prop" machete holder, and there was also some (very possibly real) blood spattered about. The lightbulbs had even been switched out to bathe the house in a warm glow of red instead of the blinding white or yellow of the usual lights. Everything was in place, but still, something felt like it was missing.

That's when Bill snapped his fingers, realizing what he and the grey man had forgotten. Alastor looked over to Bill, only to see Bill had kneeled down and was rooting around in the Halloween bin that had been suspiciously left on the doorstep.

"What are you doing?" Alastor tilted his head, a slight look of confusion gracing his brows.

"Skulls," Bill gave no other context for this statement.

"What about skulls?"

"We need skulls."

"Why?"

"Al," Bill sighed with his head in the box, "skulls are a quintessential part of Halloween décor. Even an out-of-touch entity like me knows that."

"Oh! In that case, hold on a moment!" Alastor's expression cleared up and he walked cheerily down to the basement. Bill stood up and stepped away from the box. When he came back, he was carrying a medium-sized box which clinked with his movements. "Go on! Have a look! Use what you'd like!" Alastor put down the box to reveal that it was full of actual human skulls.

"Woah," Bill's eye shimmered like a citrine in the summer sun. He reached down and picked up a skull that was on the larger side. "Where'd you find this?" 

"It was actually brought with me when I appeared here! These are all mine! Collected from genuine sources," a sinister tone came into Al's voice, but Bill ignored it in favour of the perfectly bleached bones before him. His free hand caressed each crack and imperfection on the skull.

"This is perfect," Bill said breathlessly, a faint smile on his lips. He was enamored by how delicate yet sturdy bones truly are. "Are you sure I can use it?"

"Be my guest, Cipher!"

"Al, please, we're friends. Call me Bill."

"Oh- Uh- Alright."

"Now, let's get decorating, hm?"

"Absolutely...

... Bill."

(Another short chapter to celebrate getting 1k views!! Thank you so much guys, it means a lot. This is honestly the only thing I've had motivation to do in a while, so it means a lot to see that people are at least reading it. I couldn't be more thankful to a bunch of strangers on the internet. Thank yall <3 )