4

After a week of staying home Meredith had to return to school. She had a small limp, her hip was still pretty bruised. When she arrived at school everything went fine, to be honest everything went great. She had made some friends when she came back but she had a weird feeling. She felt like she was the only one who wasn't cool, she just wasn't te same like them but she had a good time. She could forget all the things that were happening at school. She couldn't tell them, she didn't want to be a burden. She wanted to be seen as any other 12 year old. She went home and on her way she was smiling, for the first time in weeks she could smile again.

She entered her house and went upstairs to her room, she opened a window and there he was. 30 metres away from their house but he was standing there. Ellis changes the locks. He couldn't get into the house anymore but she was afraid, she closed the window and froze when she sat down on the ground. She grabbed a pillow and started crying. She sat there until her mother arrived at 9pm. She didn't dare to tell Ellis, afraid she would laugh with her or say she's crazy. She went downstairs and grabbed something to eat, she was quiet but Ellis didn't seem to mind.

"Meredith, I have surgery in 5 hours, you better be quiet so I can sleep" Ellis said firmly

"Okay mom" Meredith replied and she walked back upstairs, looking out of her window only to still see him sitting in his car.. She jumped in her bed and tried to sleep. She locked her bedroom door and hid under her blanket.

The next morning she got up, she didn't sleep at all and she was scared to death when she heard something. This developed the past weeks, she always had to listen to something before she could fall asleep. When she woke up at night she had to do the same thing. She has troubles with silence, she got ready for school and left early. On the way to school she could see that Thatcher was following her, so she hurried.

The next few weeks it got a little better, she didn't see him anymore and everything went great at school. Ellis ignored her completely and she was kind of relieved. She was shutting herself out of this world, not ready to face the trauma that has happened these last 2 years.

One day, several months later, she just turned 13, she was home and she ordered pizza because her mom would probably eat at the hospital. When the doorbell rang, Meredith hurried over to open the door but it wasn't the pizza guy, it was Thatcher..

"Meredith!"

"Dad?"

"Can I come in?"

"No dad, mom.. euhm.. no dad"

"Meredith, I'm moving back in with you and your mom, I was wrong. I'm sober now"

"I.. I'm not sure.."

"Meredith, just let me in"

"No.. I.. I can't do that, mom.. mom should be here soon"

But Thatcher didn't mind, he went in until Meredith tried to close the door, he grabbed her by her troat and started to choke her. "You piece of shit, I told you I'm moving back in"

"D..ad.. S-S..top"

He kept going until Ellis drove up into the street, she stepped out of the car and Thatcher let go of Meredith. She fell onto the ground and was gasping for air

"Thatcher, what the hell are you doing?" Ellis yelled but ignoring Meredith

"Ellis, please.. I'm sober, I'm gonna be good for the both of you, I love you, Ellis!"

AN // I'm from Europe, please keep that in mind. I only know the laws from my country and here we mostly go to school with a bike so that explains why Thatcher could spot her