chapter xi.

chapter xi. the birth of their downfall

Gojo Satoru seats in a plush leather seat with arms crossed over his chest, blindfolded eyes seemingly focused on the students fighting on the screens. He seats and watches but he doesn't see. (Were his six eyes useless? Maybe that's why there are six screens on the wall. To replace the unreplaceable.)

His mind processes it all, nevertheless.

Zen'in Maki.

She proves them all wrong. Him, although he had no doubts whatsoever about her worth. (She reminds him far too much of another Zen'in for that.) The higher-ups, crooked and watching with incredulous eyes behind their pesky little windowpanes. The conservative assholes composing the Zen'in clan, who denied her the smallest crumbs of respect.

She, a mere woman unable to see curses, grins.

She has no need of cursed energy to beat a skilled opponent.

Miwa Kasumi.

Ah, there was the name of said (unfortunate) opponent, the young Kyoto student who asked to take a selfie with him eons of weeks ago. She, the one with noticeable bangs and a kind smile, is skilled. Her swings are laced with the practised ease of habit and her cursed technique itself is quite refined.

But, while she may be good with a sword, she lacks the necessary experience to adapt to her opponent.

That's what she gets if she underestimates her opponents, comments Kugisaki over a sip of coffee. Nothing a bit of field training wouldn't remedy to, declares Utahime.

And that is why she loses, overwhelmed, unable to anticipate Maki disarming her. That is why Zen'in Maki stands proud in her victory, assessing the sharp edge of the katana — quite a good blade, wasn't it?

"This girl is quite skilled," muses Mei Mei, black eyes sharpening at the sight of the blade raised in one of her crows' line of sight. "Why hasn't she been promoted to grade 2 already?"

Kugisaki sighs. Her beverage's bitterness might have spilled from her tongue.

"The Zen'in are getting in the way."

Of course they are. Old Naobito can't stand being proven wrong. Especially considering he would only have himself to blame for rejecting an obvious asset to his clan. He was the one who let Maki join Jujutsu Tech. Probably out of curiosity.

Mei Mei's crows fly away. Another perspective unfolds on the screens, trembling at first, steadying then.

Kugisaki Nobara.

A squeaky hammer in hand, she furiously lashes out on the rotten values of this society. Again, and again, she strikes.

Mei Mei nods. Those hits of hers are hard enough to leave a bruise, but not enough to kill, hence the change of hammer.