chapter i..

chapter i: steady my hand for the innocent

Hidden by a darker-than-black barrier, between Tokyo and Kyoto, is a building with one lone room

Hidden by a darker-than-black barrier, between Tokyo and Kyoto, is a building with one lone room. It is the core of the jujutsu society as they know it.

It's a circular room deep in the dark, with empty windowpanes, lone, long things standing upright on their own. Wooden alcoves in the walls support half-melted candles, droplets of wax dripping down to the tatami floor. It's barely enough light to see what's in front. It's enough for shadows to flicker, twist and convulse on the walls.

This is the room in which the higher ups, elusive figures, ever-hidden figures of power, command it all.

Four of them stand waiting, bony arms tucked in the white of their sleeves, with shadows digging in the pale flesh of their skull. They are not behind those lone windowpanes. The matters at stake are far too important- they need to assess the approaching woman, see if she'll be fit for this job.

She's young. Maybe too young to carry this out. Then again, she's around the same age as the shamans at both the sorcery schools. She'll do the job. Then again, they've chosen her because she's known for her efficiency. 43 cases, none of them failed. (This will be the 44th. A collective shiver - let's to hope it's not a bad omen.)

There she is, bowing with the respect due to elders such as them.

They extend a file.

It's a heavy one, with countless reports and black-and-white photos and each is more confidential than the last. It's a heavy one, that mustn't, under any circumstances, leave this room.

She takes it.

They watch, those four men - four unmoving wax figures releasing the same raspy breath, blinking the same cataract-marred eyes, clenching the same bony fingers under the long sleeves of their robes. They watch and watch and watch as she reads through the contents, flipping a page, pausing there and there.

They do not talk. They do not move. They watch and watch and watch her silhouette and the world's destiny pass in her hands. They see her face, morphed in a mask of absolute neutrality. They see her fingers hover above the top left corner of the paper she's currently studying.

Window is their title. They're the ones at the very top of the jujutsu society. The power is theirs, and they'll do anything for the precarious balance of things to remain steady.

That's why she's here.

Time is running out, they know. They can only wait so long.

They blink.

When their glossed eyes open, she's smiling.

Their breath stills in their throat - how dare she? Their world is at risk. Should the vessel die before the merger, they'll be doomed. This is a matter of utmost importance, and yet...