HOLDING INFINITY.

All is a matter of numbers.

Really, should you look just a little harder into it, just a little bit more — there, can you see? — you would realise that all can be simplified by a series of digits.

The years passing in a flurry before eyes hardened by ten lives' worth of horrors would be changed to a simple twenty-seven.

Eyes that had once been filled with such innocence, such hope in what the future held were now solely focused on them. Those dreaded number. They watch as they grow and grow and grow—

On and on it went, numbers increasing with each passing day. With it, the knowledge that for each person saved, ten others had perished. 
But you, who have stumbled upon this living tragedy by an unlucky twist of fate, should have known better.

Mankind had always been gifted many, many things by whoever decided to start this charade that is life. Unyielding determination is one of them. It would only be fair that those blessed with it would be in charge of protecting the fair, innocent souls of the people roaming the streets. 

They're all so blissfully naïve to the heavy price paid each year for their safety. Numbers number numbers—

There they went again, another dozen added.

The thing is: humans are not alone in this world.

How could you have been so foolish to think, to even consider for a mere second that you were alone, that there wasn't someone, no, something on your trail?

It is patiently waiting. It is biding its time, slowly creeping closer and closer to its clueless prey— you. Do you feel it yet, its putrid breath reeking of old blood, so very heavy on your neck?

It is a creature of spite and death and gore who will not, shall not rest until the bottomless pit of its appetite has been satiated. Your death will only be ne more to add to the thousands of deaths occurring each year in Japan. (See? Numbers again.)

There is a reason for those grotesque monsters' presence in our streets, for their gaping maws to be ready to snap brittle bones.
Just why do you think shamans stand there, armed and ready to fight until the bitter end?(They're the most tragic of us. They're humans cursed with a terrible knowledge they shall bury with their broken corpse.)

Those creatures they had sworn to exorcise were only the horrifying product of mankind's own twisted heart. Curses, dreaded by all, are born of human hatred, spite, anguish, regrets.

It had only brought misery upon us all. There isn't a place on this earth that has been spared by the crimson filth of blood, by the weight of lifeless bodies mutilated by the hands of the vengeful. (Curses have emotions too, just why do you think this battle has been so very cruel to both sides?)

But if you think curses are the only beasts in this story, you're dead wrong.

All can be simplified by a series of numbers, but not all situations are a matter of numbers. They, those shamans, so very prideful in a mission slowly but surely eating at them, did not quite realise what happened.

Otherwise, surely, when the double-faced spectre, the undisputed King of Curses himself emerged again in this era in all his cruel glory, they would have immediately taken measures. Definitive measures.

But, but, but, for all their limitless strength and infinite, unyielding determination, for this inhumane resilience of theirs, shamans remained humans. So desperately foolish, so very convinced that it would all go exactly as they had planned. 

As such, it didn't come as a surprise when they made yet another foolish decision. 

(The first decision had been locked away in the darkest room of a lost estate, under a small shrine to the name of the latest star plasma vessel. No-one had opened that file. Some wouldn't dare to try and learn what happened. The others had the consequences of their actions embedded in their mind.)

They didn't choose to spare the unfortunate vessel harbouring Ryomen Sukuna's soul.

No, of course not. The elders presiding this shaman society, for all their sins, were not imprudent enough to let their arch-nemesis roam free in those modern lands.

He is a poor, unfortunate lamb, and shall be executed on the altar humanity had built when it first birthed curses. (Why were they so keen on wasting youth's lives?)

But before the inevitable execution accepted as his only fate, Yuji Itadori made his choice. He would die, yes, but in death would bring the cruel sovereign down with him.

Ah, but shamans remain humans, remember? So desperately selfish. So deeply convinced it would all go down how they planned it.

We've all forgotten Murphy's law haven't we?

CAST.

XVIII. Kugisaki (Y/N).

 Kugisaki (Y/N)

Jutsushiki. Unknown.

"Ah, rats."

Angry too - Lola Blanc

XIX. Gojo Satoru.

 Gojo Satoru

Jutsushiki. Limitless Curse.

"It's all right! I'm the strongest."

The Best - Future Royalty

Disclaimer |
Once again, here i come with a story that will eventually break your hearts and make me the unfortunate subject of your curses (pun intended). However, i do not know when i'll be able to find the time to publish another chapter, especially with the publication of Smoke and Mirrors.

For the most part, you will be adressed to as Kugisaki or by no name at all. I will follow the plot of the manga (spoilers and angst ahead. Of course, of course, our dear Kugisaki's existence will alter the plot of our dear shamans and esteemed curses at certain key points.

All writer's ramble aside: thank you for reading my story. I hope you'll enjoy it as much as i do!

EDITED 23.01.21