chapter iii.

chapter iii. those gentle moments have an end

Megumi sits down carefully on a nearby bench. The metal under his tired muscles is an unwelcome reminder of what occurred. He still feels the impact of his body against the wall, the bones cracking under the pressure and blood blood blood

A sigh leaves parted lips as he shifts ever so slightly in his seat, soon to be lost in the omnipresent beat of cursed energy. Of course, the blindfolded idiot considering himself a teacher would choose to immediately evaluate the new student's level. A "field exam" as he put it.

Light green eyes focus on the abandoned building where the silhouettes of his classmates disappeared, merging with omnipresent darkness. It's weird, not being alone anymore. And, he must admit, not entirely unpleasant.

"I should be with them right now," he mumbles.

He leans backwards, pleats of his uniform brushing uncomfortably against the bruises on his back — careful there. Ieiri-san's skills might have healed him, but the pain is still there, relegated in the back of his mind.

"Don't overwork yourself, Fushiguro-kun." Half-lidded eyes open by a fraction, braided hair shifting against dark fabric. "You're still recovering."

His attention focuses on the young woman at his sensei's side.

Of course, he had heard of her before. The "class S idiot" (a very fitting nickname) mentioned her more than enough for her name to be familiar. It wasn't the first time he'd seen her either. The indecipherable glint in her eyes when they first met was not one he could ever forget.

A chill runs down his spine.

Kugisaki (Y/N), just who are you?

Arms crossed over her chest, curiously long briefcase at her feet, she leans against the wall. An ebony jacket draped over her shoulders — just a little too large but somehow so very fitting.

Just why, why did she come now?

Clearly, she wasn't going to take up the position of teacher at Jujutsu High. A shame. Knowing there was a possibility he wouldn't have to deal with his sensei's antics next year would have been nice. The sister goodwill event wasn't a motive to justify her presence either, as it was to take place in almost three months.

He turns towards her, breath catching in his throat, regardless of muscles screaming in agony, begging for him to stop, to rest. He could not. Certainly not before knowing why she was here. Oh, of course, he trusted his sensei. If he deemed her presence necessary, there must be a good reason.

It didn't mean he'd forgotten that expression of hers.

(And certainly not this dreaded feeling that she was not, in any case, one to be angered without consequences.)

"Why are you here?"

Raising an eyebrow, she tilts her head ever so slightly, back never leaving the wall. Would she fall if she did? There are bags under her eyes despite her falling asleep on their way to Tokyo. He had the feeling they wouldn't disappear that easily.