Chapter Two "Callsign"

Chapter 2

‘Call Sign’

October 29th, 2030

Private Sloane Hunter

San Antonio, Texas

“Move your asses! Keep up, you lazy sons of bitches and move!”

I bit my lip, pulling the seventy pound backpack higher up on my shoulders and jogging through the gates of the training ground. Heat sweltered down my shoulders, sweat sliding down my back and to the edge of my tucked in shirt. The Texan sun beat down on the hundred new recruits, myself included, as we moved swiftly through the entrance gate.

“Is that too heavy for you soldier! Is it?!” One of the drill sergeants shouted at a struggling man, carrying his baggage lower to the ground. Instantly, I averted my gaze, picking up my step and jogging along side of a taller man. “Come on, they’re not going to let you run this slow in the training course! Run!”

Oh God, what am I doing?

I kept up with the soldier until he tripped on his low hanging canteen, letting out a yelp. Instead of running though, I froze in my path and reached down for his hand. He gladly took it, pulling himself back up and started off towards the open field that lay ahead of us.

Pilots were scurrying around their aircraft; Black Hawk helicopters landing for the introduction of the newest recruits. Soldiers with Army t-shirts on ran around the base while we passed through, their gazes mischievous. My heart thudded blankly against my chest as they corralled the massive group into two. “That’s her.” One of the officers said nearest me. I caught his gaze and he nodded once.

Without hesitating, I joined the crowd on my right; females. Internally sighing, I kept my head high as the officers went through the crowds, ordering a selective few and pushing them towards a tall, lanky man with his eyes narrowed roughly on me. I gulped silently.

A rough hand was placed on my shoulder and pushed me towards the man. “Paulsen wants to see you.” A drill sergeant said in my ear.

When I didn’t move, she smacked me over the shoulder and pushed me forwards, towards the giant of a man. “Sloane Hunter?”

“Sir,” I said loudly, saluting in respect.

His eyes flickered with resentment, before he nodded to the other drill sergeants. “Move them through bag checks as quick as possible! Go!” He snapped. The men and women in charge threw their hands to their heads and nodded, before turning to the two crowds and moving them along with the same demeaning calls. “Now, Hunter,” Paulsen started, picking up his feet and starting to a large building. “Try and keep up, will you?”

“Yes sir,” I replied, chewing on the inside of my cheek. What did I do this time? Was it because I helped that man up when he had fallen? Wasn’t that what the military was about; brotherhood and support?

As we trudged away from the others, my worried stomach twisted into knots. Was this about Davy? Paulsen opened the door and held it open for me, showing me his basic office. A small wooden chair sitting in front of a cherry wood desk had my name on it. Papers stacked beside his monitor, names of recruits scribbled on sheets of paper. A sticky yellow post-it with my name on it lay on the very top.

Paulsen took a seat in his chair, crossing his legs and folding his hands across his lap. “You know why you’re here?” He asked curiously, pursing his chapped lips before relaxing again.

“No sir.” I whispered, looking around the office. Medals lined in cases were hung up on the walls, different colored ribbons folded neatly in a case on top of his filing cabinet. “I mean, I tried not to be mean on the transport here, but—“