Safety: Chapter 3

Harlow Stark POV

The sound of beeping machinery greets my waking conscious. My mind tells me it's medical hospital related so I don't question it. However, I can't ignore the pain on my body for any longer than I already have.

Upon opening my eyes I'm greeted with dimmed lighting in some sort of lab. That's when it finally hits me. I'm not I'm Hydra anymore! Those people, they saved me! Lord knows if they're any better, but at least I'm not in hell. A joyful laugh escapes my lips although it's barely audible and a pained groan follows it.

"Jarvis, call Tony she's waking up." The sound of another voice sends fear coursing through my body. I shoot up and quickly dart my eyes around the room. "Hey hey hey calm down. It's okay, you're safe." The voice says again before a man steps into my view. He's wearing a white coat and has a pair of glasses pressed up on the bridge of his nose. I scoot as far away as I can until my back hits the wall.

"My name is Bruce Banner. I'm a doctor sweetie, and I'm gonna help you, okay?" His voice sounds friendly but I make no moves yet. Doctors have never been very friendly towards me, so you can't exactly blame me for being weary.

Before Banner can attempt speaking again more people enter the room. A man and a woman in casual pajama like clothing. The mans jet black hair is tugged in all directions like it's been pulled on. The woman is a gorgeous slim redhead wearing a distraught shocked expression as if she's just witnessed a miracle. They both approach me hesitantly making me panic as tears fall from my face.

"Shhh, hey it's okay. It's okay I'm not going to hurt you. No one is going to hurt you ever again as long as you're here. You're safe." The man says in a sad guilt ridden voice. I don't know why but I find myself trusting his words, believing them. I nod my head very subtly in understanding.

"Listen, I know you're scared, but I want you to try and remember for me. What is your name?" The question confuses me but I try to answer nonetheless. My brain starts to hurt as I search it for an answer.

"Bucky told us it might take a little bit." The woman whisper to the man. Her voice however ignites something in me. It's soft warm tone makes me feel safe and fuzzy inside, and suddenly the answer to their question comes to me.

"H...ha...ar...Harlow. M...Maria....st...Stark." I answer quietly in a raspy broken voice. Both of their faces light up in relief as tears slide down their cheeks. I finally lift my head to truly make eye contact with the two humans in front of me.

"Honey, do you remember us? My names-"

"Pepper." I mumble finishing her sentence for her. It's like saying her name opened a floodgate because suddenly several memories started flickering into my mind. I scream at the pain, but once it's over I smile weakly.

"Come on now Madre, don't shed so many tears for me. You even got dad crying." I get out through a fit of coughs. Next thing I know I'm enveloped in a pile of thrown about limbs as both my parents hug me tightly. I flinch at the contact, but I don't make any move to stop them.

"It's good to have you home kiddo." Tony whispers near my right ear as my mother's sobs ring through my other.

"yeah, I missed you too, but you're kind of hurting me." I whisper back making both of them chuckle softly and pull away.

I spend the next hour listening to my parents make phone calls and talk with others while Banner gets me patched up. I quickly learn that he's not like the other doctors I've met, he's kind and as gentle as possible. Some people come in and out of the room, but no one actually comes and talks to me so I do my best to just ignore them.

By the time Bruce finished with me I had bandages wrapped around me from my breast to right above my hips in order to treat injuries sustained to my back and ribs. A few stitches were needed and an IV was put into my arm. We all learned pretty quickly that I burn through normal pain meds so they gave me the same dosage they give someone called Steve Rogers. I don't have time to question it though because I soon find myself drifting off into sleep again.