Meet the Team: Chapter 4

Harlow POV

I couldn't say my sleep was dreamless, however, it was the best rest I've gotten in a while. Anytime I would start tossing and turning a comforting weight on top of me would ground me back to reality. In my drowsy state I never bothered to question what the source of the weight was, I just allowed myself to slip back into a peaceful sleep.

"What the Hell is going on in here?!" An angry voice flooded into my ears and ran through my body, sending fear and panic through my veins. My state only worsened as the warm weight on top of me disappeared leaving me feeling threatened and cold. Within seconds of the voices appearance I bolted upright with a scream and huddled towards the wall. With my eyes still tightly closed I felt a familiar pressure in my chest followed by a buzzed feeling in my skin.

My magic had activated and wrapped itself around the nearest object of defense which happened to be a medical scalpel. I heard a wince next to me that I registered as one of pain, and finally me eyes open wide to take in my surroundings. In my panicked attempt to defend myself I ended up multiplying the scalpel about fifty times and made them surround me to create a sort of threatening shield of small blades facing away from me.

Outside of my poorly made barrier was a man I vaguely recognized. Upon seeing him some of the memories from the day before came back to me breaking my concentration. My connection with the scalpel broke as my head started pounding through my skull. The tool once again became a singular object and came clattering to the ground as I let out a groan and rubbed on my temples.

Tony stayed shocked in place as I whimper until a hand touches my shoulder. The contact sends me into another state of panic, but before I could actually react I make eye contact with the person that hand is attached to. Bucky. A mix between a sigh of relief and a pained whimper escapes my mouth while looking up at him. He offers a comforting smirk and gently moves his metal hand to rest on my cheek. The cooling material soothes my aching head so I nuzzle further into its comfort and close my eyes.

I hear Bucky speaking to the other man in the room, but I don't pay it much thought. My attention stays on Bucky's presence in front of me until my head finally clears. The events from yesterday are still pretty fuzzy in my head, but I remember vague details. I was rescued. I was treated by a kind doctor. I had a nightmare. I braided Bucky's hair. And he stayed? My brain offers to fill in the rest. I smile softly as I agree with that conclusion.

I open my eyes again to see if the braid stayed, and at the same time I remember the wince I'd heard during the mornings panic. My eyes widen as I scan Bucky over quickly. My heart stops as I notice the nicks and cuts on his good arm and right cheek.

"I hurt you." I say out loud in a guilt filled voice while scooting away. I spoke out in the middle of the conversation that was already happen, but both men immediately turn their attention to me. Bucky looks at me with a strange expression. It was soft, sad and...understanding?

"No no, doll I'm fine. Everything's okay, you didn't do it on purpose." His voice is soothing which just makes me feel worse.

"No, it's not okay. I hurt you because I'm a freak who can't even have normal reactions!" I growl in aggravation towards myself. I was trying not to breakdown in front of the two.

"Harlow, you are not a freak. Actually you're a Stark which means you are basically the coolest human ever." The previously angry man says in a joking tone. I shake my head in response until a hand lifts my chin upwards.

"Look at me." I lift my eyes slowly and am met with a smirking Bucky. "If you're a freak sweetheart than so am I." He states with confidence paired off with a wink. I'm not sure if I believe him yet but I smile softly anyway.