Fluff: Chapter 5

(This chapter isn't really important to plot but it's adorable in my opinion. Please read it though because it does help with Harlow and Bucky's bond with each other.)

When I wake up in the morning I find myself in a blind panic. My throat feels tight and my body shivers from anxiety rolling through me in violent waves. I didn't know what I was doing even as I did it, but eventually I found myself in Bucky's shower. The hot water burning at my back is what finally eliminates the haze of sleep. However, that only lead to the realization that I was sobbing silently. I couldn't seem to make noise escape from my mouth which just made me panic further. The whole situation sent me into a emotional sobbing mess on the shower floor. What a lovely night this is.

I don't know how long I sat under the running water of the shower, but eventually I hear the door to the bathroom open and Bucky's raspy sleep filled voice echo into the room. "Harls, doll it's three in the morning why are you in the shower?" I could tell I'd woken him up just by the fact that he clearly wasn't fully awake. I didn't care all that much right now though. Instead I try to force his name out of my mouth to ask for help. Nothing but a pitiful croak leaves my lips, so I just curl around myself tighter and continue sobbing.

Bucky heard the small noise made in the shower and hesitantly walks closer. "Harlow? Harlow are you okay?" The panic in his voice rose after no answer, but no matter how much I wouldn't to I couldn't seem to give him one. Eventually Bucky just opens up the shower door and looks down at me soaking wet, still wearing the clothes he'd gotten me when I took my first shower. Without hesitation he rushes under the water with me and pulls me into his arms. I cling to his shirt and continue violently sobbing into his chest.

"Oh hun, it's going to be okay. You're okay. I've got you, I'm right here and I'm not going anywhere." He soothes while gently playing with my hair. After a moment I feel him lift me into his arms and out of the shower which he turns off. He sets me down on the bathroom counter and disappears for a moment before returning with a towel and some clothes.

"Hey, sweetheart look at me. Do you want to change yourself or is it okay if I help you?" I panic as he ask something other then a yes or no question. The fear shows in my eyes as I look up at him and quickly gesture to my throat trying to explain.

"Hey, it's okay. You can't talk?" I nod my head as more tears fall from my face. He looks at me sadly before grabbing my hand and kissing the back of it. "Don't focus on that right now, just focus on me. Do you need help changing?" He ask again modifying the question so I can shake yes or no. I shake my head yes as I simply couldn't find the mental strength to move myself at the moment.

Bucky just smiles thoughtfully and helps me get out of my wet clothes while being very respectful. He avoided actually looking at my body and kept eye contact with me the whole time. Afterwards, he helps me dress in a t-shirt and a pair of boxers that clearly belonged to him, but I didn't mind because the familiar scent was comforting as was the oversized aspect. I watch as he walks away before coming back in just a pair of dry boxers.

"Alright doll, let's get you taken care of." He caries me bridal style back into the bedroom and sets me down on the bed. For several moments he walks around the room grabbing different items, but to be honest I wasn't paying too much attention.

"I remember something similar happening to Wanda a while back. Hydra did the electric shocks on you to.o I'm guessing. We read up on it and found out that sometimes after having nightmares your throat closes up again, kind of like muscle memory. Pietro helped her when it happened, so now I am going to help you." He explains before walking back over to me. I was still kind of an anxious mess, but at least I wasn't sobbing. Bucky sits down on the bed next to me and grabs something from the pile of things he'd brought over. I identify the container as fancy body lotion.

"The girls bought me a bunch of fancy hygiene items a while back that I have no use for, so I figure they might be useful here." I nod in slight agreement as I watch him open the container and scoop some of the lotion onto his flesh hand. He extends his metal hand to me and a quickly take it with my left hand. With a fond smile he spreads the lotion over my left arm while massaging my hand in his metal one. I feel myself melt under the attention and relax from the experience.

Bucky to his sweet time and eventually made his way to moisturizing both my arms and legs while turning it into a sort of massage along the way. He then put the lotion away and turned back towards me with a smile. My throat wasn't feeling any better which kept freaking me out, but seeing him try to help me was definitely what was keeping me calmed.

"Okay, I have three ish more ideas if you're up for it?" I nod my head to confirm that he could continue before watching him look for some other items. "I was thinking, that since you did my hair the other day maybe I could return the favor." He says sweetly before turning back to me with a brush, hair products, and some hair ties. I almost giggle at how adorable he's being but before I get the chance he moves to sit behind me and sets to work on my hair. By the time he's done my locks detangled, soft, and done in two rather elegant French braids. When he turns me around to face him I give a nod of approval.

"I'm glad you like it. I learned how to do hair a while back. My mom wasn't around all that much and my sister always got upset when other girls had fancy hairdos and she didn't. So one night I stole a baby doll from her room and practiced hairstyles on it until I eventually started doing them on my sister. You should have seen how excited she got." Bucky's expression turns sad for a moment so I put my hand on his cheek and smile softly. He chuckles half heartedly and leans into my hand.

"You're the first person I've told that story to so you better not spill my secret." He jokes to which I respond by making the zipping lips motion, locking them and throwing away the key. Bucky simply smiles until I start coughing. I tilt my head down and hold onto my throat as the coughing turns into gags since the air was struggling to actually escape. This sends me to panic slightly and I look up at Bucky in fear. He quickly pulls my hands away, holding them in his own and rest his forehead against mine. "Follow my breathing, okay." I listen and carefully follow his breathing until the chocking feeling in my throat stops. He wipes away my tears and looks at me thoughtfully.

"Here, I want you to wear these for me." I look at him confused until he gestures to the chain around his neck that holds his dog tags. He pulls the necklace from off his neck and pulls it over mine. "That way whenever that happens again you can pull on the chain and think of me instead of panicking. Consider it a distraction." I gently fiddle with the tags while I look up at him before leaning forwards and kissing his cheek as a thank you.

Bucky gets me a hot tea after a while and tell me stories about himself while I sip on it. Some of the stories were sad and recent, others were bitter sweet and old. I listened to him talk until finally I felt my voice return to me. "Bucky, thank you." I say softly.

"For what?" He says while smiling at me confused.

"For helping me, for telling me your stories. Would it be too much trouble if we kept talking, at least until I get tired?" I ask nervously while fiddling with his dog tags again.

"I'd love nothing more." And just like that it was settled. We spent the next three hours talking, sharing stories, crying together, laughing together, and learning about each other. Despite how it started this was officially the best night of my life, and it ended with us falling asleep tangled up in each others arms.