Chapter 3

Tommy was silent. Concerned by the apparent lack of fear of free he felt. It wasn't often he trusted strangers, and yet the overwhelming dread wasn't there. Beucase of this it took him a moment to remember that he should probably answer.

So he muttered his name quietly, trying to avoid making eye contact.

"I didn't quite hear that sorry" said the boy apologetically.

Tommy took a deep breath and semi straightened up. "It's- it's Tommy" he said finally meeting the boys gaze.

The boy smiled softly and slowly crouched down to match Tommy's height."Okay then" he said holding his hand out, "I'm Wilbur"

Tommy flinched from the sudden movement.

Realising it was a handshake he quickly rushed to return it, ending up shaking Wilburs hand once firmly, before immediately letting go.

Wilbur didn't expect the quick sequence of events, and when Tommy pulled his hand back and stood looking awkward, and slightly embarrassed, Wilbur couldn't help but laugh.

It was Tommy turn to be surprised. "I-I'm sorry?" he said with confusion.

"That was the weirdest handshake I've ever had" said Wilbur still half laughing.

Tommy went red, "I'm not used to it" he said softly.

Wilbur looked a him grinning. "It's fine, you just reminded me of Techno"

Tommy tilted his head. "Techno?"

Wilbur nodded "He's the scary looking one over there" he said gesturing to the other boy, who was still standing stiffly a few feet away.

Tommy looked over. He could understand where Wilbur was coming from when he said scary, and yet about him seemed passive and gentle, and he got the same safe vibe he did from Wilbur. If anything Tommy thought he looked more cool.

"He doesn't look scary" he said as he continued examining Techno.

Wilbur paused, and watched Tommy. Usually kids were absolutely terrified of Techno, running and screaming if he came too close. One time they were spreading horrible rumours about Techno's origin. Calling him and monster, and telling him go back to the nether.

Why was this kid different? He had to find out. Which meant...

"Hey Techno!" Wilbur called. "Come here!"

Techno looked startled, but after receiving a confirming nod he hesitantly made his way over. Tommy didn't move, and when Techno got there he just stared at him mystified his mouth slightly open. Techno looked uncomfortably down at Tommy and then to Wilbur, who shrugged.

"I like your eyes" said Tommy suddenly, his eyes wide. "They look like those red crystals.. what were they.." he trailed off. "Rubies!" he said smiling.

Techno was thrown off by the statement. He awkwardly nodded, and glanced around. Tommy had completely forgotten about being cautious, and his face was filled with childish wonder. Techno was possibly the most interesting person Tommy had even seen and he wanted to know all about him.

"Why do you have pig ears?" asked Tommy innocently, pointing to Techno's ears. "Oh and tusks!"

Techno said nothing. He was staring out to the side and seemed rather pre-occupied nervously fiddling with his hair. Tommy waited patiently, eyes fixed on Techno.

Techno looked desperately over to Wilbur for help.

"Oh uh, he doesn't talk" said Wilbur suddenly.

Tommy looked at him confused. "But, earlier I.. heard?"

"Oh" said Wilbur before pausing. "Well... He can only talk to certain people, and he just doesn't like it otherwise"

Tommy didn't really understand, but he realise that how his questions were clearly making Techno uncomfortable, so he nodded understanding , and shifted his attention to Wilbur instead.

"Soooo, what were you guys doing? asked Tommy "I heard this loud noise"

Wilbur grinned, quickly standing, "I'll show you"

He walked briskly over to a large oak tree. Tommy watched quietly. Wilbur stopped and reached behind the tree retrieving up a well carved yet rather beaten up wooden sword. He turned around showing it off proudly. Tommy's face immediately switched from curious to petrified.

So they were going to hurt him.

Why did he ever think he could trust them?