Chapter 9

He knew he'd fucked up. Wilbur was now doubled over, clutching his middle, face twisted in pain.

Techno was in an equally distraught state, a mixture of confusion and worry. He soothed Wilbur best he could with a gentle hand, but without the addition of his soft monotone voice, it did little more than assisting in drawing Wilbur's attention elsewhere.

Tommy could feel his heart begin to reflect his mind, it's pace quickening. Yet rather than drawing his body away form the situation, his legs moved him unwilling towards it. Words fumbled uselessly thought his brain, falling out hopelessly as, "M'sorry"

That was terrible, he might as well just dash his way out of there. He fiddled with the skin on the tip of fingers, picking at it as he waited for something, anything, to happen.

"You better be- that hurt like hell"
Wilbur's voice was strained, annoyed, but not angry.

Tommy stared, he knows he shouldn't, but he couldn't help it. What a strange stranger. Stranger? Friend?
"Sorry." he repeated mindlessly, unable to produce anything of greater value.

Wilbur sighed straightening up with a strong breath. "It's alright, I've had worse"
He eyed Techno, giving him a not so subtle glare, before returning his attention to Tommy. He smirked, keen to continue the game. With a shuffle of leaves he jumped towards Tommy, intending to hold him hostage once again, yet it didn't produce the reaction he'd hoped for.

Tommy flinched sharply and looked up at Wilbur with fear. Reading the situation Wilbur immediately lightened,

"Hey, whoa... you good?"

Tommy's expression was calm, yet saturated in fear all the same. "I'm sorry, I- I'm really sorry"

"It's..fine" said Wilbur slowly, drawing back. "I'm not angry at you"

Lies. Tommy held himself further backwards, hands towards his chest. They always said that.

Techno noticed the distinct withdrawal. He noted it in the back of his mind for a later date, taking this opportunity to step forward and crouch so he was at eye level.

So he didn't speak. He didn't need to.

Tommy looked a him cautiously for a moment, but just as Techno thought, the child soon found himself starting straight back. Come again becoming enamoured by the scarlet hue of the older's eyes.

When he meet the gaze, he found no aggression in it. It told him he was safe. He took a deep breath, and relaxed himself. His position shifting from its defensive form.

Techno reached out a hand ever so slightly. Tommy didn't flinch, and let Techno's hand settle on his shoulder.
"I'm ok" he muttered. "Thank you"

Wilbur joined Techno, looking guilty. "I really didn't mean to come of so aggressive."

Tommy shook his head and looked down at the dirt. "It's my fault I overreacted"

The small party was basked in an awkward silence.

Wilbur was the one to break it.
"I think we should do something else"

Tommy looked up at him curiously.

"How much of the forrest have you seen?" asked Wilbur, a subtle excitement brewing in his words.

"None really" said Tommy, before realising how pathetic that sounded, and rephrasing it. "Well, I've seen the edge, mostly. Oh, and this area of course"
Not a lie technically.

Wilbur's face lit up. "Then I think it's time we change that"

"What'd you mean?" said Tommy suspiciously. "It sounds like your about to kidnap me or something."

"I'm not a kidnapper" Wilbur huffed. "Plus if I was, I think I'd have better taste"

Techno punched Wilbur in the arm, and looked at him with a scowl.
Wilbur took the hint. "But, you know- I'm not or anything"
He took a deep breath. "What I meant, is that we should give a tour of the rest of the area. This is actually the most boring part"

"Really?" Tommy's mind filled with pictures of mystical images he'd seen in the old storybooks tucked away in the corner of his room. Scenes of fairies intertwined between glowing flowers and hanging vines flashed vividly in his mind.
"What's rest look like?" he pried.

"Guess you'll have to finding out" Wilbur stated boldly. Then remembering he shouldn't apply pressure added, "Only of you want to go of course!"

"Yes!" exclaimed Tommy, "Let's go now!"

Wilbur returned his enthusiasm. "Alright then!"
"Techno lead the way!" he said, shoving Techno in a random direction, and pointing forward over his shoulder.

Techno turned around a slowly pushed Wilbur's outstretched hand to a completely different point in the trees.

"Ah yes" said Wilbur. "That's totally where I meant to point"

Techno spared him a sceptical look before walking slowly towards the heavier foliage.

Wilbur glanced down to Tommy, who snickered. He grumbled at him, and Tommy covered his mouth in an attempt to stifle and giggles that escaped. Satisfied Wilbur looked back upward and announced proudly. "Onwards!"