Chapter 6

Tommy had spent the next couple of minutes rambling about all the little details he'd noticed in the display. Wilbur and Techno stood and listened, barely able to keep up with the rapid succession of words spilling from Tommy's mouth. They had at least expected him to be somewhat hesitant, yet the fear had once again vanished, leaving air with a steady excitement.

The flow was finally broken by Wilbur.

"So you liked it?" he asked cautiously.

"Yes! It was so cool!"

Wilbur beamed, then relaxed, the tension resolved.

"Why don't we go sit down?" he said, stretching his arms.

Tommy agreed with a brisk nod, so Wilbur led him over to a couple of thick fallen logs. Tommy attempted to sit, however the mossy surface caused him to slip quickly onto the ground. He grumbled, but after a brief chuckle, Wilbur hoisted him back onto his feet, and he was able to sit normally.

They began talking again, expect this time Wilbur was actually able to be a part of the conversation, even occasionally translating for Techno, giving him input as well.

Tommy was in the middle of another excited rant when he was interrupted by a scoff from Wilbur.

"What?" he asked in confusion, looking up and tilting his head.

Wilbur's laughter only  threatened to escape more. "I'm sorry, it's just, I was thinking about how you climbed up the tree earlier"

Tommy's confusion grew. "What about it?" he asked curiously.

"You looked like a raccoon"

There was a beat of silence, broken by a light muffed chuckle from Techno, followed quickly by Wilbur bursting into laughter.

Tommy flushed red, his eyes flicking between the two. "I did not!" He said angrily, crossing his arms with a huff.

"You absolutely did " Wilbur managed to squeeze in between his bouts of laughter.

"Why a raccoon?!" he said flinging his arms out with frustration. "Raccoons are stinky!"

"Exactly" Wilbur said grinning.

He let out an offended gasp, which set Techno into full on laughter.

He felt a smile start to tug at the corners of his own mouth, Wilbur saw it and took it as a challenge.

"Is that a smile?" he said, smirking.

"No!" said Tommy, turning his head away.

"Ok then" Wilbur remarked casually, he fixed his eyes on Tommy. "Don't smile"

Tommy's eyes wandered back to Wilbur, he attempted to suppress the smile but he could feel the giggles building inside him.

"Donnttt smmiille" continued Wilbur grinning wider. "Dontttt"

It was becoming increasingly harder for Tommy to stop himself bursting into laughter, the smile creeping up his face.

"Dooonn't dooo iitt"

Techno was watching the game unfold,a sneaky smile on his face. Happy that for once he wasn't the victim. Though it seemed Tommy's tolerance was low, the trick took effect immediately.

Tommy's muffled a giggle. He was clearly smiling now, yet Wilbur continued.

"Nooo smillinggg"

That was the final straw, Tommy burst into a fit of giggle, putting his hands up to his mouth.

Wilbur let out a dramatic sigh. "I thought I said not to smile?" he said with fake annoyance, yet pride showed in his voice and laced his face.

"That's not fair" Tommy muttered, through his laughter. "You made me!"

"I didn't say anything," said Wilbur smugly.

Tommy grumbled, looking at Wilbur annoyed, "Then how did you-?"

"Practice" nodded Wilbur

"Teach meee" whined Tommy.

"A magician never reveals-"

A loud bird call echoed from somewhere close by, breaking through the still air. Wilbur turned and scanned the tree line, his eyes narrowing on a particular spot. Tommy followed his line of sight, until he finally saw the object of Wilbur's focus.

His eyes widened, it was the same bird from before.

"Oh" said Wilbur nonchalantly "That's our queue to leave"

Tommy looked at him amazed. "The bird?"

Wilbur nodded. "He's like an old friend, well, it's hard to explain"

The bird crowded again, it's voice sharp and short . It was impatient, that call had seemed clearer. More understandable. He almost whistled back.

"Are you cool to get home?"

Tommy jumped, before stuttering. "Oh, uh yeah"

There was another moment of silence. Except the air wasn't filled with joy. It was filed with the fog of a parting, a goodbye.

"Then this is goodbye?" Said Tommy sadly.

Wilbur shook his head firmly. "We'll invite you when where next here. Whereabouts do you live?"

Tommy pointed in the direction of his house, trying to comprehend how on Earth they could invite him.

"But how-"

Another shrill call pierced the air.

"Trust me you'll know"

And with that Wilbur grabbed Techno and the two darted quickly into the trees. Tommy listen to the thud of their footsteps until he could anymore. His lips felt dry. He wondered if maybe he'd just dreamt them.

The last remnants of dusk had trickled from in between the leaves, and seeped into the ground, making it glow warmly against the growing  darkness of the night. His footsteps made the ground crunch louder than ever, and the shadow merged and changed with every passing minute.

As the last embers of the day disappeared form the Forrest. So did he.