Chapter 5: Death and Hope

You told Mikasa and Armin about your experiences with Mr Yeager, to which they were both surprised at the sheer bizarreness of the situation. Everything from his casual visits, to your last moments with him and Mr Niels, to the carriage ride and now to here. Eren vouched for your story as well, noting the basement key around his neck. Everyone's minds were racing with thoughts and theories, but without Dr Yeager here, it was all just speculation. 

A few days passed, and you felt that he wouldn't be returning for a while. 

"Eren, the fact that your Dad entrusted that key to you... I don't think he's coming back any time soon. I'm sorry..." 

"You're wrong, (Y/N)! He IS coming back! We can't just give up hope on him!" 

"I haven't given up hope Eren, it just wouldn't make sense for him to entrust everything to you if he were expecting to be here when we open the basement!"

"How could you say that?! How are you so content with saying that we won't see my Dad again soon?! What about that man who raised you? I wouldn't be surprised if you gave up on him as well!" 

Armin was visibly shocked by the remark, and Mikasa stood up to speak. You just continued to look at him in silence. 

"Don't say those things to (Y/N) Eren. He was only trying to help." 

"How is this helping?! I get confirmation that my Dad is alive, but I don't get to see him again? This is bullshit!" he continued to argue, but Armin stepped in as well. 

"He's just being reasonable, Eren. You'll continue to be disappointed if you expect him to come back every day. We need to carry on living in the present to try and get through this and trust that he'll come back. That's what your Father would want..." he explained, putting his hand over his friend's. 

Eren looked solemnly towards the ground, thinking about yours and Armin's words, and brought his gaze back to you. 

"I'm sorry, (Y/N)... I shouldn't have lost my temper and said those things. You were only being realistic and trying to look out for me... It's just that I really want to see him again." 

"Don't worry, I know you were just frustrated, so I didn't take any of it personally. I really do understand why you're upset, Eren..." you held your hand out to offer a reconciliatory handshake. 

"I know, (Y/N)." he smiled, accepting it. 

Mikasa and Armin smiled, and you all got up to get your daily rations with the help of Armin's Grandpa. That's how it was for the days prior, and this is how it would be for weeks, months to come... Surviving, day by day.

...

In the following days, refugees were sent in droves to till the wastelands to bring in more food. But even still, there wasn't enough. 

And the following year, in 846, the central government used many refugees in an operation to recover Wall Maria.  

Two hundred fifty thousand, in all... Approximately twenty percent of the population. There were just over a hundred survivors.  

Their sacrifice alleviated the food shortage for the rest of us, somewhat. 

... 

Armin clutched his Grandfather's hat tightly, tears rolling down his cheeks. It had only been yesterday that he had gotten the news from one of the survivors that his Grandpa didn't survive the 'retake operation'. You, Eren and Mikasa had all tried to console him over the death, but this was a tipping point for all of you. You were finished sitting around like cattle waiting for slaughter.

"It's all because of the Titans. If we destroy them, we can retake our home..." Eren spoke quietly, looking towards the night sky filled with stars. You nodded, your gaze fixed towards the brightest star you could see.  

"Armin..." Eren went to continue. 

"I'm enlisting next year." you both said in unison.  

Eren and Armin snapped their focus towards you in surprise. You remained fixed on the star above you. Mikasa just lowered her head, letting out a breath of acceptance. 

"(Y/N)..." Eren murmured in disbelief. You looked at him, your eyes brimming with a fiery determination that none of them had ever seen in you before. Eren's eyes became filled with the same determination as he gave a nod to you, and he spoke.

"We'll gain the power to fight the Titans!" 

"Me too..." 

Both your gazes turned towards the blond, who's tears were now dried. "Armin?" you both questioned in unison.

"Me too!" he said loud and shakily, his determined gaze fixed into the distance as Mikasa spoke up. 

"I'll go as well." she said quietly, yet clearly.  

"Mikasa, you don't have to..." Eren tried to argue, but he was cut off. 

"I'll go. To keep you all safe. I won't let any of you die." she finished sternly. You were all taken aback by her drive and confidence in that moment.  

"Alright. The four of us." you said decisively. Your three friends nodded, and you all shared looks of resolve and a burning sense of purpose. The four of you would survive through the next year and join the Cadet Corps, no matter what. 

...

"We now begin the enlistment ceremony for the 104th Trainee Corps! I am Keith Shadis, and I  had the misfortune to be assigned to train you pathetic runts!" the bald headed instructor continued, "I'm not here to give you a warm welcome! Right now, you're just pig shit swine, fit for nothing but Titan food! No less than cattle...  In three years, I'll take you worthless pieces of crap and shape you into soldiers with the means to fight Titans! In three years, when you stand before Titans, will you still be food?! Will you be a noble wall, shielding the King? Or one of humanity's greatest, slaying Titans head on? You will decide!" 

'Yes... That's exactly what I'll be... I'll retake the walls and make sure every last person has a home to return to. I'll find something beyond freedom, just to make sure that nobody has to live in fear again!'

...