Chapter 6: Rites of Passage

The summer sun shone brightly on the training grounds, scorching the backs of the cadets who were standing as stiff as boards on the dusty ground. Instructor Keith Shadis had just gotten to the end of the third row, giving every cadet a major verbal grilling on the way.

"You there!"  

"Yes sir!" 

"Who are you?!" 

"Armin Arlert, from Shiganshina!" 

"What a stupid name! Did your parents give you that?!" 

"My Grandfather, sir!" 

Your friend was trying desperately to stop his shaking and keep eye contact with the instructor, but his struggle was obvious. 

"Arlert, what are you doing here?!" 

"Trying to aid humanity's victory, sir!" 

"Well isn't that wonderful?! You'll make good Titan food then!" 

He grabbed the blonds' head roughly, twisting his entire body to face the opposite direction. "Row three, about face!" he shouted, as the entire line followed in turning around. There were some cadets who Shadis was walking past completely, if you had to guess, these were the people who had witnessed the atrocities committed by the titans 2 years ago; their eyes showed it.

The grilling would go on for another few minutes before it would be your turn. You were definitely intimidated by the whole situation, but you didn't fear the instructor, nor did you fear the 3 years of hell you were allegedly supposed to be going through. You were going to achieve your goals no matter what, you knew it as a certainty. But no matter how hard your drive was, you're still human, a kid with no experience who's barely even gotten around to processing the situation he's in.

"Row four, about face!" 

"Mina Karolina, from Karanes!" 

"Jean Kirschtein, from Trost!" 

"Marco Bott, Jinae City, Wall Rose South District!" 

"Connie Springer, Ragako Village, Wall Rose North District!" 

Shit

"Pretty boy! Who are you?!" the instructor towered over you, his dark eyes shooting through your very being. You brought your right fist up to your heart, performing the signature military salute.

"(Y/N), sir!" 

"(Y/N)?! (Y/N) what?! Where's your last name run off to, cadet?! Are you that shit scared?!" 

You froze up for a moment, you hadn't made a habit of calling yourself by that name since you signed up to join, but now was the time to make it somewhat official... 

2 weeks prior, Trost District.

Eren, Armin and Mikasa had just finished signing their military applications, and now it was your turn. "Wait, Armin..." you called out, putting a hand on your friends' shoulder as he was walking away from the booth after finishing his form. "It's asking for a second name, and I don't really have one... I never knew my parents, or any of my family for that matter..." 

Armin smiled softly, looking you in the eyes. "You had your 'old man' looking after you, right? The answer should be obvious, then." he said genuinely, beaming at you again before walking off. You chuckled to yourself and gave a small grin before picking up the writing quill. 

Present

"(Y/N) Niels, from Stohess, sir!"