Chapter 8: Realisation

"This is impossible guys! I've tried everything, it's just not working!" 

"T- Try to pay more attention to your balance!" 

"Don't worry about failing. Just calm yourself." 

"Hmm... Maybe try shifting your weight a little?"

"Are you kidding me (Y/N)? Shift it WHERE?!"

"Just a suggestion...

BAM 

...

"Yep. That's a concussion." You commented nonchalantly, taking a sip of hot tea as you were all gathered in the mess hall for supper. "I think we already heard that from the nurse, (Y/N)..." a bandaged Eren responded, downtrodden from his lack of success. Armin chimed in, "Don't worry about it Eren, we still have until tomorrow to get advice from the other high flyers."

 Eren looked down at his stew with a dejected expression, pushing the potatoes around with his wooden spoon. "It's just that I've already got all of the pointers I can from you guys..." He responded, turning his gaze to you. "You and Mikasa are pretty much the best with ODM gear right now, so what could I possibly get out of anyone else?" 

You gave him a sincere look. "Listen Eren, I've been messing with ODM gear since I was a kid, you shouldn't be comparing yourself to me. And Mikasa... Well, she's Mikasa." You commented, turning your head to the raven haired girl next to you at the latter part of your sentence. She gave you her trademark look of curiosity, to which you chuckled at slightly. You looked back towards Eren. "So what I'm saying is, maybe there are other cadets who think closer to how you think, or have had the same struggles you're having. It can only help at this point."  You finished.

"I guess you're right... I don't exactly have many options left anyway." He responded, with a little more confidence than he had prior. The three of you smiled at him before hearing the uneven clings and clangs of the bell, signalling the end of supper. As the four of you were getting up, Armin started to speak. "We should start getting some pointers from the other guys, right Eren?(Y/N)?" You both nodded, although you were a little disappointed in giving up your nightly run.

As you were exiting the mess hall, you heard a booming voice from a few yards to the right of you. "Niels! Ackerman!" You both immediately knew who it was, and turned to face him with a salute. "Yes, Instructor Shadis!" You both shouted, unsure of what the bald headed man wanted with you both. 

"There's a large shack northwest of the training field, close to the river. It used to function as a gymnasium, but past cadets got lazy and let it get run down. Both of you will get it in good condition before tomorrow morning!"

"Yes Sir!" 

You both loosened your salutes as Shadis walked past you to head to the captains office. You turned back to Eren and Armin, who had been standing by whilst the instructor addressed you both. "Sorry guys, are you ok doing this without me?" You asked sincerely.  Armin smiled and waved you off. "Of course, don't worry about us. We'll fill you both in tomorrow morning."  You gave Eren a quick look that said 'You got this', and he shot one back that said 'I know'.  

You and Mikasa both began jogging towards the directions that Shadis gave you, noting how pleasant the evening summer breeze felt against your face. The amber sun was beginning to set just above the forested area where the shack was supposed to be, leaving the sky a mesmerising mixture of lavender and blue. You noticed that Mikasa was also observing the sight, and you knew she found it just as beautiful as you did. She wouldn't make any sort of comment on it though, you knew that she never really expressed her emotions through words.